Epilogue

Important question. Please answer in the comments: Would you read a book about Rukayya? I'm thinking of writing a book about her life after mtbwnhd.

Enjoy ;)

***

'Bonus phase: You have fully accepted Ayyan. You want to spend the rest of your life with him, and you've probably—definitely—kissed and slept with him. Maybe you even have kids by the time you remember this phase, but in whatever situation you are in right now, all you have to do is look back and smile. You made it. You reached the end. Your marriage worked out, or it didn't, but anyhow, you're happy and that's all that matters. So, celebrate. Pop a bottle of halal champagne or go on a trip or even just clap yourself on the back because you, Zarah, did it!'

I smiled, just like Muna told me. It was true—I did it. I reached the end and I was proud of my life. I was happy things turned out the way they did.

Although I wished some things never happened, I would never have been the person I was without them. They helped me grow, and they certainly made me a better person than I could ever imagine myself to be.

My life now comprised helping my husband take care of our kingdom and managing our two kids.

Princess Aysha IV was my first child. Named after one of the bravest persons I had ever met, she was the heir to the throne. When naming her, Ayyan had left the decision to me, and I knew there was only one person in this entire world I could name after her. She had after all saved her life.

Princess Aysha would never replace my Aysha. I'd always miss her but naming my daughter after her reduced some of the pain.

My second child was Princess Ayza II. I had named her too, after Ayyan's twin sister. Ayyan had said I shouldn't be naming all my daughters after his dead sisters, but I wasn't doing it for him. I was doing it to honour their memories, the bravery they had shown throughout their lives, and because I wanted my daughters to try to do the same.

"It's time for bed," Ayyan's voice broke my train of thoughts. My two little princesses were trying to wrestle their dad for the remote controller.

We were watching TV in one of our private cinema rooms in Suman Palace. They were watching some cartoon while I tried to relax, before Ayyan changed the channel to watch news. And now, they were trying to collect the remote from their dad's firm hands.

"Aysha, stop trying to bite me!" Ayyan scolded, removing her from his chest and placing her on the floor. Aysha lived up to her name. She was as mischievous and playful as the one we named her after.

A determined look crossed her face. "No, Daddy." Aysha was like a mini me. She had my golden curls and hazel eyes, with her father's tanned skin. While Ayza looked exactly like Ayyan and his twin sister, with her bluish-green eyes and dark hair.

"I said it's time for bed," Ayyan repeated, tickling Ayza as she tried to collect it. The three-year-old and the seven-year-old were crawling all over him as he tickled one of them with his hand and raised the remote from their reach.

I laughed, watching them play. They did it almost every night. We could send them to another room to watch the cartoons, but we wouldn't be able to spend quality time with them, what with our busy schedules.

Things got a lot busier as time passed and we grew older. We no longer had the time nor the luxury to fool around all day doing nothing. The kingdom needed us, and we had to make time for it.