Chapter 43

Cheers to ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND FREAKING READS!!! I love you guys. Enjoy... 🧡🥂

Zarah's POV

It was already late by the time we left what I used to call home. But there was one place I really needed to stop by before I left for Runaria the next day.

I had to say goodbye to one last person.

The house wasn't far from my house. I used to go there on foot almost every day. If not, the person would instead come by my house. We did everything together until marriage took me away. And now, I didn't even know when I could see my best friend again.

I stood patiently by the door as I waited for the person who shouted to answer the door. Back then, I just stormed into the house, greeted Muna's parents and went straight to her room. Muna was an only child, and I had become the second child—or rather, her twin.

"Zarah, I haven't seen you since the wedding," Mrs. Ahmad, Muna's mom asked giving me a warm hug. I had missed her rosy scent. "How have you been?"

"I'm fine, Auntie," I said with a slight smile. "Is Muna around?"

She nodded, and I went straight upstairs. The nostalgia hit me hard when I entered Muna's room. She still had a lot of our pictures growing up. I smiled when I saw my picture with large braces. I couldn't believe I used to wear those. I regretted not entering my room one last time.

"Zarah?!" Muna yelled once the shock had faded. She rushed and gave me a hug. I hugged her back with the same force. Oh, how I had missed her. "What the hell?"

I laughed awkwardly. "Hello to you, too."

"Seriously, though! Where are you coming from?" She released me and we sat down on her bed, legs crossed just like old times.

"I came to visit Mom and Dad, and I swung by. I haven't seen you in so long," I said.

"Yeah, me too," she said. "So, what's up? You look different. Spill."

I smiled—a real genuine one. "Don't freak out, please."

"Okay, just spill."

"Promise?" I held out my pinky. We used to do that all the time.

She curled hers around mine. "Yeah, sure. Now spill."

"I'm pregnant."

"AH!" she yelled, then covered her mouth. "Fuck that promise. WOAH," she screamed, then tumbled onto me. "I can't believe it. I'm gonna be an aunt. So is it a girl or a boy?"

"It's too early to tell."

"Aw, man!"

I laughed, standing up. "I need to go, now. It's getting late."

"I still can't believe it. Maybe I'm dreaming." We both laughed. "But I'll get to see you tomorrow, right?"

"No, I don't think you will see me in a long while," I muttered.

"What do you mean by that?" she asked.

"Just take care of yourself."

With one last hug and a lingering kiss on the cheek, I said goodbye to my other home.

The ride back to Ayyan and I's place had to be one of the most quiet rides I had ever been in. Aysha had arranged for a chauffeur to take us from the airport to wherever we were to go to. I left her at home while I went out to do what I came for, while Rukayya was still out with her boyfriend.

It was dark out when I came home. Aysha had ordered takeout and was watching something on TV snugged in one of Ayyan's t-shirt and my shorts. His shirt was too big on her and she looked cute.