Chapter seventeen

After we had lost Rosa and Victor we stopped running.

"You shouldn't have come with me. Now they'll be mad at you too." Billy says finally speaking up.

"I don't care, you shouldn't have to do something like this alone." I respond with a soft tone.

"Yeah, I guess you're right." he responded. After that small exchange it was silent again.

"You never told me that you got lost." I say quietly, wondering if this was a tough subject for him.

"When I was little my mom took me to the carnival and she was playing a game where you had to pop the balloons because I'd seen a prize that was a stuffed tiger. She didn't win it but she won a keychain that was a little compass." as he was saying this I saw that he was fidgeting with something in his hands. "We were walking through a crowd and someone bumped into me and I dropped it, so I let go of my mom's hand and when I finally got it back I couldn't find her. I waited with the cops for hours, Y/N. Hours. She never came so they put me in a foster home and when I was old enough to know more about her, I started to search for her." this whole time Billy told me what happened my heart ached.

"I'm so sorry." I said quietly.

"It's okay, you didn't do anything. At least I'm going to finally see her." he responded, sadness in his words.

"I never got to really know my parents. They died from a drug overdose when we were really little. From what I heard, they didn't care about me and Freddy. I'm sad I never got to know them but happy we didn't have to live in those conditions anymore." I admitted to him.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know." he said.

"It's okay, we all have our stories don't we?" I say as a small smile played upon my face.

'Yeah." he responds with a small smile.

"Is this the place?" I ask after a few more minutes when we come upon an apartment complex.

"Yeah, it is." he responded.

The building had a small parking lot with old beat down cars, some with plastic bags for windows. The building itself looked old but not neglected.

"Come on." Billy said with excitement now in his voice and started to walk faster, jogging even.

Once we got into the rickety elevator the real nervousness set in. The doors opened up to a hallway on the 7th floor with the walls a mix of tile and regular walls with orange accent colors by the elevator. As we were walking by some apartments loud banging, glass breaking, and some yelling was heard. When we came to the right apartment, number 707, Billy's breath hitched.

"Hey, look at me. You can do this, you're a freaking superhero. Just take a deep breath and let it out slowly." I reassured him.

"Okay."

knock

knock

knock

knock

"Just a second." we hear a woman call out.

"Breath." I whispered in his ear.

Then a woman opened the door wearing a red shirt with a light grey jacket.

"Hey, look, I'm late for work already, all right? We don't need any magazines or whatever. Thanks though." she said and started to turn away.

"Oh, we're not." Billy said which caused her to turn back around. "You probably don't recognize me... but I found my way home." he then held out the little compass he told me about earlier. "Mom. It's me."

"Oh, God." she whispered. She looked nervous and scared. "Is it?"

Billy shook his head and let out a smile and went in for a hug but she stopped him.

"Um... hang on." she breathed out and we heard a man ask who was at the door. "It's um... no one, Travis." and she closed the door.

By what she had said and done a look of sadness and hurt fell onto Billy's face, so I slid my hand into his and gave it a squeeze.

"That wasn't Dad, was it?" Billy asked, his voice slightly shaky.

"No. Listen, um... it's really you, huh?"

"Really? Her son comes to her door after so many years and this is how she reacts?"

"I didn't mean to run away. You know that, right? I let go, but it was by accident. I-I.." Billy stuttered, trying to hold back his tears.

"Yeah, no, I know, yeah. I saw you."

"What?" pain and sadness was sewn into his voice, I could hear his heart slowly cracking.

"I saw you, after. So, it was never your fault." at this point, his heart was completely shattered. He looked down and was on the verge of tears. "Look, I was 17, okay? And my daddy kicked me out. And your dad just decided to not be apart of anything. And I was hurting, and I was screwed up. Look, it was just once I saw you with the police, I realized that they could do a better job taking care of you than I ever will. But your good, right? I mean, you landed on your feet. Because, I mean you look real good. It's just... now is not a really good time for me, Billy"

"All I ever wanted to do is let you know I'm doing good, but I have to get back to my real family."

"Lie"

"Here." he held out the compass to her and she picked it up.

"What's this?" and then we heard a man call out to her.

"You might need it more than me." Billy told her and started to walk away but I held him back.

"Your son spent years running away from foster homes, from good people, so he could find his mom because he knew you were out there somewhere. And then this is how you treat him? You don't even know what that keychain is! He held onto it for 10 years because it was the only thing he had from you! That 'thing' is why he got lost, because it was special to him! You don't have the faintest clue how much you broke him, and to me it doesn't seem like you care all that much because he 'looks good'! You don't know the pain he's going through! How much pain YOU put him through!"

"Y/N..."

"No Billy, you don't deserve to treated like this. So now we're going to go back home to our loving, caring foster parents and siblings." and with that I turned away and started walking back to the elevator.

"Y/N, you didn't have to do that." Billy said to me, now realizing that his tears had finally fallen.

"No, I did because I wasn't going to let her talk to my amazing, loving, caring, beautiful boyfriend like that. You deserved none of that pain." I said bringing my hand to his cheek to wipe away his tears.

"Well then thank you." he let out a small smile before bending down and kissing me, but we were interrupted with Billy's phone ringing. He looked and saw that it was from Freddy, so he answered it.

"Freddy, you were right. I'm sorry I yelled at you."

Then I could hear a man saying, "Come home, Billy. Come home." And then Freddy in the background yelling "Billy! Supervillain! Supervillain!" and then he hung up.

A/N

ohhh cliffhanger (kinda lol)

on a serious note, I cried writing this and my heart slowly broke and shattered when writing what Y/N tells Marilyn. enjoy crying!