Chapter three

After we finished eating, we all went back up to Freddy and Billy's room.

"Hey Billy, do you like comics?" Freddy asked.

"Umm I guess so, I don't really care too much." Billy responds.

Because Freddy and Billy are having "bonding time" as Rosa would call it, I leave and get ready for bed.

When I'm in the bathroom I let my y/h/c colored hair out of the high ponytail and start to brush it out. When I'm done I'm about to throw away the hair that was on the brush but I stop when I see a small notebook in the trash. I know it's gross but I take it out and see a long list of women with the last name "Batson" with an address, but they're all scratched out.

"Is Billy looking for his mom?"

When I'm done in the bathroom I go and tuck Darla in like I always do and go see Eugene.

He's in his room still playing games when I pop my head in the door.

"Hey Eugene, can you do me a favor?" I ask.

Eugene is a smart kid who knows technology like the back of his hand.

"What is it and what is my payment?" He asks.

"I found this in the bathroom, do you think can you finish Billy's search for his mom?" I ask.

"Of course I can. Do you know who you're talking to?"

"Yeah yeah, I know." I say and hand him the notebook.

"Payment?" he asks.

"I'll do your laundry for a week."

"Deal." he answers.

"Cool thanks lil bro! Goodnight." I say.

"Night." he says as I close the door.

The next morning when I wake up I decide what I want to wear, get ready, and go downstairs for breakfast.

We take the bus like normal and when we are walking into the school, Darla is already talking Billy's ear off.

"Big school. 2,000 students, you might think, 'Wow, so many strangers.' But not if you think of them as possible for each friend then, 'Oh, so many friends.' The principle, her name's Shirley. She's the best."

"Next" the guy says as we're going through the school security.

"This is our security scanner. Like in an airport. It's totally safe." She continues.

"I know what it is. Does she always do this?" Billy asks.

"Yup." I respond.

"Silence makes me uncomfortable." Darla says.

"She's almost never uncomfortable." Eugene follows.

When we're done going through security Darla runs up to Billy.

"Have a good first day, big brother!" She says as she hugs him.

"Look, you don't have to hug me all the time. We're not actually brother and sister, so." Billy says.

"I'm sorry." She says as she walks off towards me and Freddy.

"I-I didn't mean to make her..." Billy says as we start to walk away.

Freddy gives him the "don't worry about it" gesture, while i give him the "are you serious" look.

I go through my classes as normal, but I can't stop thinking about Billy. Why must he be stuck in my mind? He's just a rude kid who lives with us now. Maybe it's because he's kinda cute? I push that thought out of my head and continue going through my day.