Chapter 36

"I'd like a large Supreme pizza delivered to 4011 Camus-- oh yes, this is Alexander. Hey listen, it's my sixth month anniversary with the most beautiful young lady on the entire planet and if it's not too much trouble, could you draw us some penguins in love---why? because they mate with the same penguin throughout their whole lives, that's why! Perfect example of true love, duh!"

I coughed on my soda when Alexander said the word mate.

"You okay, babe?" he asked me, concerned.

"Fine, think there's still some cinnamon in my throat." I lied.

"Oh, woops--no I was talking to my girlfriend, not you!" Alexander went back to dealing with the dude from Pizza Hut.

I drained the rest of my soda, then poured myself some more. I pressed the cold glass to my forehead.

Jasmine, get a grip you wuss. He's just talking about penguins. Penguins! ...And mating, I thought to myself.

"Pizza should be here in less than thirty minutes. Jasmine...you alright? You seem distracted."

I broke out of my daze. "Yeah, you just got me thinking about penguins."

He broke into a smile. "Well since we have to wait now, how about we dance? I'm willing to brave the possibility of my poor feet getting punctured through by those heels."

"Wait a minute, I've gotten way better since our first time!" I retaliated.

"And who was the genius who taught you?" Alexander took a bow and exited to the kitchen. I heard him slide the patio door open.

Curious, I followed him outside, only to be met by yet another one of his cute surprises. He had hung a gigantic white banner, reading "Happy Anniversary Jasmine! I love you to the moon and back!", between two branches on a tree. The banner itself was appropriately bathing in the night's moonlight. I could also see a large circle had been laid out across the yard in actual jasmine flowers. Alexander pressed play on the nearby iHome. "Angel of Mine" by The Icarus Account began to flow out of the speakers.

Tears welled underneath my eyes as Alexander moved to the center of the circle. I joined him and rested my head on his chest. He placed a hand on my lower back, while grabbing mine with his other.

"Did I mention already how extraordinarily breathtaking you look this evening?" he murmured in my ear.

We danced slowly, unaware of everything but the lyrics and our bodies touching. I listened to his heartbeat thumping peacefully against my cheek. The song ended and was replaced by "I Love You Always".

I put my arms around Alexander's neck. His dark, tear-stained eyes became lost in mine. I was transfixed by what I saw. It was his magnificent soul, archaic and gentle. He was the most perfect human being, and all mine.

Alexander began to sing to me.

"We were something special from the start
A perfect pair made of imperfect parts
And even when our fights come in between
I love you means I'm always yours to keep"

He closed his eyes and leaned his forehead against my own. They flew open again when Copeland's "Take My Breath Away"came on. He twirled me around and around throughout the entire song, and even dipped me at the end. He kissed my neck as he brought me back up.

"Dude, you're so whipped!" someone sniggered.

We looked in the direction of the voice. We had been so into the moment, we lost track of time. We hadn't even noticed the heavenly smell of pizza wafting through the air. The delivery boy had wandered in through the wooden gate. He was a senior at our school. His name was Ricky and everyone always said he was perpetually stoned. This was proven true as he stared at us in stupor.

"Bro, I gladly handed her the whip. How much?" Alexander asked.

"Eleven dollars, and dude I totally snagged you a cookie pie!"

"Alright! Thanks a lot!"

Alexander handed him the money and took the boxes. Ricky continued to stand there, grinning at something next to my ear.

"You don't make the food, do you Ricky?" I questioned. Just to be on the safe side.

"Nope, I just deliver them dudette--no bunny, come back! Wait for me!" And with that Ricky was gone.

I closed the gate behind him and looked over at Alexander, dumbfounded.

He shrugged. "I think bunny is his GPS system or something."

We entered the house and devoured the pizza.

************

"My dearest Pasmine, I have braved this vast and icy tundra in search of the smoothest pebble I could lay my flippers on. I flipped and flapped whole armies of enemy penguins just to present this sacred pebble to you."

"Oh Palexander! It's the most exquisite pebble to ever have been formed by the forces of this Arctic nature. I will gladly take your flipper and waddle with you for the rest of our penguin lives!"

Alexander and I were in his room, cuddling underneath the covers of his cozy bed. Turns out Ricky had also fulfilled Alexander's request of doodling a cute penguin couple on the pizza box. We had cut them out and were now playing with them as we ate the chocolate cookie pie.

We smooshed the cutouts together in a beaky kiss.

"I wanna do that for real." Alexander declared.

He climbed on top of me and started to kiss the hell out of my lips. My heart was bouncing against my ribcage, using it like some sort of trampoline. Was this it? God, I wanted him to finally make me his.

I kissed back fiercely. My dress raced up my thighs as I opened my legs on either side of him. But he did nothing else. Was he waiting for me to do something? I waited for the panic to hit me but it never came. How could it? This was my Alexander who would be making love to me.

I took hold of his hand and placed it between my thighs.

Alexander immediately stopped kissing me. "Jasmine, w-what are you doing?" He climbed off of me. He took one look at my hiked up dress and turned a deep tomato red.

My face was warm and certainly as red as his. Shame washed through me as I realized I had misread his actions. I quickly rolled over to avoid meeting his eyes.

"Jasmine--"

"I'm sorry. I..um..thought you wanted...to--I thought you..wanted me." I mentally slapped myself for how stupid I sounded. I buried my face in even deeper shame.

I felt Alexander get up from the bed and run around to my side. "Jasmine, oh no, look at me."

I refused but he dug my face back out himself.

"I want you. Trust me, I do." His eyes were smoldering as he said this.

I shifted my eyes. "How come you weren't doing anything? Not just now, but ever?" I looked down upon the bedspread.

He forced me to look at him again. "Because I didn't want to pressure you, love. I wanted it to happen when you were completely and absolutely ready. I just figured you'd warn me first." he chuckled.

I smiled timidly and sat up. "I am ready, Alexander." And I was. I loved him with all my heart and soul. In fact, that word didn't do my feelings for him any justice. They could never be bound by four simple letters.

"Okay, h-have you ever..." Alexander trailed off.

I shook my head. A different kind of butterflies had awoken.

He kissed me delicately.

I slowly lay back down, pulling him with me.

"I'll be gentle." he whispered against my lips.