Chapter 31

Johnny's P.O.V

The elevator doors opened, revealing the plain waiting room ahead. Hospitals didn't do such a great job on trying to cheer people up. The white walls and pale, celery green furniture only enforced the theme of sickness.

I saw that Victoria and Ozzy were already here, along with Jasmine's dad. Alexander wasn't in sight. Had I finally beat him here? That would be a miracle.

Ozzy smiled at me and motioned for me to sit next to her. I did.

“Guess what?” she told me excitedly. This wasn't the time or place to act excited I thought with a bit of irritation. Not with Jasmine still in her coma.

“What?” I answered.

“Jasmine woke up!” Victoria said.

It took me a few seconds to grasp what she'd just said. Jasmine was awake, after two whole weeks of unresponsiveness.

I jumped up, flashing them a smile. My heart was thumping loudly for the first time in two weeks...with life!

“What are we waiting for then?!” I wanted to see her! And before Alexander. If Jasmine saw me before Alexander, then maybe she would believe he didn't care about her.

“We can't yet. Her mom is in there with her...explaining I suppose.” Ozzy told me. She was watching me carefully.

“Oh. So if her mom is in there with her, than I'm guessing Alexander isn't here yet.” I said. I worked to keep the joy of that thought out of my tone.

“No, he's in there. He didn't want to leave Jasmine alone with Mrs. Turner...and to be honest, I wouldn't have either!” Victoria said. She quickly apologized to Mr. Turner who only smiled and said he understood.

Damn Alexander. He ruined my plans again. I glared at the wall opposite me, rage burning in my heart. How could I make Jasmine fall for me when she was always with him, even when in a coma?!

I noticed Ozzy was still watching me, her brown eyes filled me sadness. When I looked up, she turned her eyes away from me and stared at the floor instead. Then she started to walk away, dejectedly.

“Hey! Ozzy! Where ya going? Don't you wanna see Jasmine?” I called after her. She didn't answer me and continued towards the elevators.

Shit. I really wanted to see Jasmine, yet Ozzy's expression intrigued me. Why was she so sad? Wait? Did I do something wrong? Maybe it'd be better if I followed her and made sure she was alright. I ran after her. The elevator doors were just about to close, but I slid in right as they joined together. Yup, I'm a ninja.

“Why'd you come? Weren't you all happy about Jasmine waking up?” Ozzy asked. She sounded a bit sarcastic.

“Course I am---wait? Aren't you?”

She glared at me now. “Of course I'm happy she's awake! It's just...I know exactly why you're especially ecstatic. It's obvious, Johnny.”

I blinked. Did she really know...about my feelings towards Jasmine?

“And why am I so ecstatic, Ozzy? Do tell.”

“BECAUSE YOU'RE IN LOVE WITH HER!” she screamed, bursting into tears.

Her reaction seriously caught me off guard. Ozzy didn't seem to be the kind of girl I could picture crying, yet here she was with her face buried into the elevator wall.

A ding sounded over us, and the doors began to open. But we weren't done yet. I pushed a random button and the doors closed once more.

“Ozzy, what's wrong? I want to help.”

She turned to me again, wiping her eyes free of tears.

“What's wrong? Well, no matter what I do or how much I try to show you that I care...you cant forget about Jasmine for one minute! I know it's hard competing against her...but was I a fool to try? I'm starting to believe I was.”

I didn't speak. I couldn't. What would I say? She was right. How could I have not noticed she liked me? Ozzy was a great girl and I've gotten really close to her lately. But, I couldn't get Jasmine out of my head.

I looked away again, feeling guilty.

I didn't see Ozzy get closer. After what seemed like several minutes go by, I looked at her again, only to find her no more than three inches away.

Her lips gave me no time to think. They moved against mine gently. I felt as if she was waiting for me to push her away...I didn't. Because I didn't want to.

I kissed her back, sliding my hand around her waist, pulling her closer. I thought I would be picturing Jasmine, but only Ozzy's adorable face appeared in my mind.

Too soon, she pulled back.

“Stop, this isn't right. You don't feel the way I do. I'm sorry I went all emotional teenage girl on you. It's best if we forget what I said, this kiss...it never happened. And Johnny, don't think I'm mad at you or that I'll hold a grudge against you, okay.”

The doors slid open and Ozzy walked out. I stood there, thinking that I should go after her, but before I had made my mind up, the doors had closed once more.

I didn't quite understand what exactly had just happened. My lips were still tingling. I caressed the place Ozzy's lips had touched mine.

“Ozzy.” I whispered out.

*************

Ozzy's P.O.V

Well I officially screwed up. I thundered down the random hallway, scaring some six-year old with a Justin Bieber haircut away. Yeah, you better run punk! I didn't even know what floor I was on. Maybe the fourth?

Johnny probably thought I was some psycho now. I mean, I'd practically forced myself onto him.

...But he had kissed me back.

What did it matter? He loved Jasmine. He will soon forget about our kiss as soon as he entered her room. Then, I'd continued to be invisible, just a friend and nothing more. He'd never fall for me, might as well learn to live with that thought.

I needed a poptart. A whole plate of them.

Nah, not even sweet, delicious food could take away my hurt feelings. Only Johnny and his love would. In other words...I'll have to live with my heart torn up for the rest of my life. Thanks Johnny.

I glanced into a room as I passed, only to re-trace my steps. A tray of chicken nuggets sat on the bed. I think I'm in the childcare's ward. Holy shit! Crayons! Yep, I know where I'll be spending my time until Jasmine and her mom finish talking.