Chapter 17

Jasmine's P.O.V

I stood in the waiting room with Jeremy. I was trying not to cry but how could I not? Jeremy now knew about Alexander but I didn't care. I wasn't going to hide it anymore.

His parents were in the waiting room too. His mom was very pretty. She had wavy, dark brown hair past her shoulders and dark eyes. I couldn't look into those eyes because they were the same shade as Alexander's. She was crying into her husband's chest.

Alexander's dad was very handsome, but not as handsome as Alexander. He had short black hair and light green eyes. His face was set to stone but I could see the worry in his eyes.

When Jeremy and I arrived, I had rushed over to the nurse behind the desk and demanded to know where Alexander was. Jeremy yelled my name when I slammed my fists onto the table. His mom had overheard and came running to me, pulling me into her arms and asking me if I was Jasmine. She said that they were at the front desk when the paramedics had wheeled Alexander in. He had been saying a name over and over again. Jasmine. I let her cry on my shoulder until her husband pulled her off me with a shy apology.

Thirty minutes had gone by. Alexander's room was #45C and no doctors had come out with news yet.

I broke down again. My sobs were getting hysterical little by little. Jeremy rushed over to give me a big hug. I hugged him back and cried into his shoulder.

“Is there a Jasmine here?”

I looked up from Jeremy's shoulder, which was now stained with salty tears. I saw that an old balding doctor had stepped out of Alexander's room.

“That's me.” I said confused.

The doctor continued talking. “Well, Alexander had a severe anxiety attack causing his blood pressure to rise to maximum levels. His body then entered into an unexplained seizure. We believe it involved emotional reasons. Yet, we don't know. However, everything is under control and he is out of danger. We will release him by no sooner than perhaps tomorrow afternoon.”

“Can we see him?!” Alexander's mom grabbed the front of the doctor's robe thing, practically tackling him.

“Well, actually he has asked that no one see him. Except for one person.” The doctor looked at me. “You are Jasmine, correct?”

I nodded.

“Alexander has asked that only you enter his room.” he said.

I blushed. I felt bad for his parents, especially for his mom who looked like someone had struck her with a frying pan.

“Um, I don't think that's a good idea. His parents should be the first ones to see him.” I told the doctor.

“No, no honey. He wants to see you. Go on in. We will have plenty of time to talk to him later.”  Alexander's mom reassured me. His dad nodded as well and smiled.

I gulped. I was kind of a bit embarrassed. Alexander did reject me and it was going to be very awkward for me. But I had to see him. I had to see that he was alright with my own eyes.

I walked over to the room, each step was hard to take. Then I entered.

*************

Alexander's P.O.V

One of the lights flickered in the corner of the room on and off...on and off. I was seriously starting to piss me off. I looked away and my eyes landed on the needle that had been stabbed into my left arm mercilessly. The doctors said I was fine and out of danger. I'd most likely be released by tomorrow afternoon. Guess that wasn't so bad. But to be honest, the only thing that would make me happy right now was for Jasmine to come to me. Was she here? Most likely not...yet I remained hopeful. I'd specified to my doctor that I clearly only wanted to see her...and no one else.

I heard the door slowly creak open. I figured it was the damn nurse again. I heard the door close and then footsteps. They stopped at the foot of my bed.

“Get the fuck out. I don't need more shots dammit.” I said firmly.

“I'm not the nurse smart ass.”

My head flew up in shock and I saw Jasmine standing there tentatively. My heartbeat quickened. I smiled reassuringly at her and reached out for her.

She looked surprised but came closer. She stood by my bedside table awkwardly.

“Please sit.” I said while patting the edge of my bed. She obeyed and sat down. The nervousness crept in. I held my hand out and she took it. Her grasp was a little weak and her hand shook a little.

I stared at her face. She seemed stressed and her eyes were all puffy and red. I felt a pang of guilt since I had been the reason. But I was going to make it all better. I was going to tell her just how much I loved her. She was the only thing that mattered at the moment.

“Jasmine, I am so sorry. I lied to you.”

She froze. Her hand went tense. I could see she was beginning to regret coming in to see me as her eyes darted to the door and back. I couldn't let her leave. I locked my gaze with hers. She strained to look away but she couldn't.

I took a deep breath and steadied myself. “I didn't mean what I said earlier...Jasmine, I love you more than I have ever loved anyone.”

Her reaction was the complete opposite of what I expected. She stood up in a flash, anger blazing all over her face.

“Don't do this to me Alexander! I don't want your pity!”

I felt my heart tighten. “Jasmine, you have to believe me-”

“Just because you feel guilty—you don't have to--” she struggled with her words.

“I'm not saying this because I feel guilty! I'm in love with you Jasmine Valentina Turner, ever since you pushed me into the school fountain in the eighth grade!”

“Don't lie to me!”

Jasmine ran out of the room crying. I heard my mom's voice call after her. Goddammit! This girl was going to be the death of me...

I wrenched the covers off of me and swung my legs over the bed. I felt stiff all over as I stood up. There was a sharp pain in my left arm and I glanced down to see the needle still wedged in there. I wrenched the needle out and ran after Jasmine ignoring how weak I felt. I wasn't backing out again.