Chapter 34

Johnny's P.O.V

I sat down on the swing Jasmine had just vacated. I sat there all afternoon, thinking. I didn't even notice when the night chased away the daylight. Only one girl occupied my mind. She was the one for me...and I had to see her...

Alexander's P.O.V

I sat in my backyard, thinking about Jasmine. A few months ago, I would never have thought she'd be mine. And now that she was, I didn't ever want to lose her. It would be the end of me. I know it sounds cheesy and dramatic...but once your feelings become so profoundly strong for someone...your life revolves around them. I've become so terrified that Johnny would take her from me. But I had faith in our love. It would  never end. We were simply meant to be.

I stood up and wiped any remaining bits of grass and dirt from the back of my jeans. The moon shone brightly overhead and suddenly I longed to see Jasmine...

Johnny's P.O.V

The night was getting cooler. It must have been almost nine. I pulled out my iPod and checked the time. 8:49. Yup. I played “Closure” by Asking Alexandria and continued walking. I made it three blocks when I felt like I was being followed. I turned down the volume and heard footsteps behind me, confirming my suspicions. Shit.

I quickly turned around, balling my fists. Four guys stood there, slightly swaying on the spot. Great, drunks. They looked like they were barely in their twenties.

“Hey there fag!” boomed the one right in front of me.

“Sup guys?” I smiled, but didn't take my eyes off of them.

I got no answer. Two of them grabbed my arms while the biggest one took aim and punched me in the stomach. Everything went out of focus and I tried to regain the breath that had just been knocked out of me.

“Let me go. I'll fight all four of you, but let me go cowards!”

“Shut up!” snapped the one who had spoken to me. He swung for my left eye but was way off and instead made impact with my cheekbone. Still hurt like a bitch. I didn't make a single sound though.

Then I saw the bastard who punched my stomach get pulled back and thrown on the floor by someone in a black hoodie. I couldn't make out the design on it.

“Now, now men. Four against one? How about we make this a real fight?”

The boy pulled down his hood. Alexander!

I took advantage of the two goons, who were staring with open mouths at the new addition to the fight. I pulled out of their grasps and punched one the one to my left straight in the nose. Blood gushed out like water from a faucet. He fell to his knees, clutching his broken nose. Two down. I turned and saw the third one on the ground already, his hand over his blackening eye. Alexander was walking towards the last one. The guy looked at each of his beaten buddies, then at me and Alexander.

“You win dammit!” He ran off...straight into a light-post.

“And that's what booze will do to you, kids.” Alexander said with a grin.

I laughed, then quickly shut my mouth. I haven't been on good terms with Alexander lately...with the while Jasmine thing. Yet, he'd just helped me fight off these drunks... so he couldn't possibly hate me. Or maybe he was just a really good guy...

“Alexander...uh...thanks. A lot. I'd be a pile of skin and guts if it weren't for you.”

He walked over to me, with my iPod in hand. He handed it to me. There was a bruise on his jaw.

“It's cool. It wasn't fair for them to gang up on you like that. Plus, I wouldn't let one of my closest friends get turned inside out.”

I looked away. The guilt was rising up inside me.

“I didn't think you'd still consider me a friend.”

He chuckled. “Yea, you've been a pain in my ass lately...”

I looked back at him. “I'm sorry. I should have respected your relationship. I know you've found happiness with Jasmine and I sincerely wish you the best. You don't have to worry anymore...not that you ever really had anything to worry about. Jasmine loves you with everything she's got. And...well...I don't love her. I thought I did...but I was confused. She used to go to all my gigs. Just like Brenda used to. It was so stupid of me to connect them like that. But I've finally realized my happiness is with Ozzy. She's the one who's helped me get over Brenda but I was too blind to see it. I just hope it's not too late.”

Alexander stared at me for a few seconds, then gave me a hug. “I'm happy for you Johnny. I know how much you've suffered. When you lose someone so special to you...it makes you want to hold on to their memory in any way possible. And Ozzy is very understanding...It's not too late.”

“I'm going to go see her.” I said with a smile.

“Great! I was actually on my way to see Jasmine so I'll see you at school tomorrow. Good luck.”

We smiled at each other, then turned, and walked off toward our respective destinations.