Chapter 40

"Amber," Joel whined from behind her.

"Go away," Amber told him stubbornly.

"I don't get why you're so mad!"

Amber grunted. Joel had been trying to get her to talk to him for the past thirty minutes, but one thing Joel did not know about Amber was that she could be majorly stubborn and unforgiving. Not that he was apologizing at all; he still hadn't a clue what he did.

Amber was sitting cross-legged on the floor of the living room with her back facing Joel. They had started this from her room, and had somehow made it downstairs.

"Amber," Joel whined once more.

"No," Amber said bluntly.

Joel had came up to her that morning trying to act as if everything was alright. She had completely ignored him but was now being forced to respond to him since he was not giving in. He must not take hints very well.

"Amber, what did I-"

"You almost got us both killed, that's what ya did!" Amber snapped while turning her head back to glance at him.

"I told you I had it under control!"

"Mhm, sure."

She heard Joel approaching her from behind, and before she had time to move away, he was leaning over her with his hands gently gripping her shoulders. "How about if I apologize by going and getting you some ice cream?"

Amber stared up at him silently. Was he kidding?

"Yeah, 'cause a bowl of ice cream just fixes everything."

"You could actually come! You always talk about how much you want to leave the house for just an hour," Joel told her in a convincing tone.

It was true. She was desperate to get out and just act normal for a few moments; to see the outdoors and feel some sunshine. She got a little of this from attending school, but not nearly as much as she wanted.

Amber slowly shook her head. "Luna wouldn't allow it."

That was another true point. The woman never let her out of the house.

"I'll talk to her," Joel quickly stated before he flashed away.

Amber let out a sigh as she waited in the living room. She didn't know what she wanted to happen. If Luna allowed it, Amber would be forced to forgive Joel. She did hate fighting with her friends, but she also held bad grudges. If Luna did not let her go, how would the two come to make up? And she would not see the outdoors for the weekend.

Amber fell back against the floor in annoyance. Joel just could not have driven like a normal person, could he?

"Amber!" Yelled out Luna's voice from above.

On cue, Amber jumped up and made her way up to Luna's room, wondering if her tone indicated any signs of anger.

Luna's bedroom door was already propped open, and as she walked in, she found the two standing in the middle of the room.

Luna was looking in her direction, and Amber gave her a quick bow while at the same time scanning her over.

She wore loose red shorts with a simple white shirt tucked in. The white heels which wrapped around her feet brought out her long legs while her hair was pulled back into a braid which ran down her back.

"Joel tells me that he wishes to take you out," Luna stated as she leaned on one hip in a dominant stance.

Amber slowly nodded and glanced to Joel who held a small smile on his pale lips.