Chapter 11

As the two of them entered, all heads in the room shot to their direction. There was a large table which contained multiples of people surrounding it. Some were seated and others were roaming the room. 

Amber looked up at Joel for guidance. 

He smiled down at her and said, "Good thing no one noticed our tardiness."

As he said this, a man with light blond hair approached the two of them. "It's about time my favorite son showed up!"

Joel side-glanced at Amber, "How ironic!"

He then proceeded to hug his father which caused Amber to be filled with jealousy. She began to wonder about her father. Was he alright? Were those men hurting him? Was he still going to keep his promise?

Deep in thought, Amber did not hear her name being called. Joel's tapping on her arm is what gained her attention. "Your mistress is calling, dear," he said before laughing. 

Amber quickly glanced around the room and inhaled as her eyes found her... 'mistress'. She stood close to another woman and was laughing about something with her.

Amber looked back at Joel. "She doesn't want-" 

She was silenced by her name being yelled in the voice she knew belonged to Luna. She cringed and Joel let out a chuckle. 

Amber sighed before walking away from Joel and heading towards Luna.

Her attire was just like everyone else's: quite fancy. She wore a tight skirt and a dark blue shirt that tucked into the skirt. Her heels were higher than Amber's house and she wore her dark hair in loose curls.

She smirked down at Amber as she approached her. Amber felt herself grow angry every time she made contact with this woman. 

Luna turned to say something to the woman who stood by her side before returning her focus to Amber, who stood with her arms crossed stubbornly.

"Now why do you look so miserable?" Luna leaned down to ask her. 

Amber only puffed out her bottom lip since she had no clue how else to respond. Anything she did would upset this woman, so why bother putting in any effort?

"And where is your bow, Amber?"

Amber only stared up at the woman. 

The woman who accompanied Amber's mistress leaned over her. "Does she have vocal cords? Is she...mute?" She whispered, but spoke it loud enough so Amber could hear.

Amber unfolded her arms and narrowed her eyes at the woman.

Luna chuckled and grabbed Amber's cheeks so hard it caused her to fall forward slightly.

Luna proceeded to shake her face around with a deep frown painted on her lips. "I dunno, Susan. She could speak before."

"Mistress..." Amber spoke through her pinched lips. At this point she would do anything to get Luna off her.

She watched as Luna grinned. "There it is," she said before letting her go.

Amber avoided snapping at her as she rubbed her cheeks. That woman had a tight grip.

"But this doesn't get you out of the bowing, dear. You must bow every time you enter my presence."

This had to be just plain humiliation. Amber sighed as she reluctantly headed into a bow in front of Luna. 

Once up, Luna smiled. "Good girl."

Susan then nudged Luna with her elbow. "Looks like dinner is ready."

"Ah, wonderful," Luna said in response. 

The two women began to make their way to the table, and Amber was planning her escape from Luna, when she was suddenly grabbed by the wrist.

She cursed under her breath as Luna dragged her over to the table. She was hoping she could stalk her way over to Joel, who was taking a seat across from the seats where Luna and Susan were headed. 

Amber did a double take as she noticed the girl pulling back Joel's chair as he sat. It was Eva! Her tiny friend proceeded to push his chair in after he was seated then took her own seat next to him.

Amber wanted to say hello, but was suddenly yanked to the side. She let out a grunt as her wrist was set free.

Luna had already sat down and she motioned for Amber to sit next to her.

She held a groan from escaping as she did so. She could tell this was going to be the longest dinner of her life.