Chapter 16

Exactly twelve hours later, Amber was in her room doodling on a sketchpad she'd found in one of her cabinets.

Luckily for her, drawing was one of her talents, so this entertained her for many hours.

She was busy drawing a picture of her father as someone entered her room. The noise startled her, and she gasped and dropped her pencil.

She felt foolish after realizing it was only Joel. He was snickering at her playfully. "Jumpy, eh?"

Amber smiled slightly and was about to bend down to pick up her pencil, but was cut off by Joel using his vampiric speed to dart over and pick it up before she had the chance to bend over.

He held the pencil out to her with a grin on his face.

She snagged the pencil from him. "Showoff," she said jokingly.

He acted hurt by her words and she laughed at his reaction.

He stuck out his tongue before sitting next to her and pointing to her drawing. "Speaking of showing off, that's amazing. Can I see it?"

Amber nodded and handed Joel the pad.

She watched as a smile appeared on his face as he scanned over it. "Wow, Amber. Is this someone in particular?"

Amber looked to the ground. "My father," she told him quietly.

Joel hesitated. "Wow...well, you have talent." He then handed Amber back the pad.

She smiled up at him as she took it back and mumbled a thanks.

"You miss him," Joel stated.

Amber nodded as she stared down at the drawing of him in her lap.

Joel sighed and leaned back on the window seat the two of them sat on. "Eva told me you want answers."

Amber's eyes lit up with hope. "Yes, I do, Joel!"

She watched Joel rub the back of his neck. "I suppose a few should be in order."

Amber could feel herself grin.

"What's your question?" Joel leaned back forward and placed his hands on his knees.

Amber placed the drawing pad and pencil to her side before turning to fully face Joel. "What am I?" She asked him the question that had been lurking in her mind for this whole time she'd been with this family.

"What are you?" Joel repeated.

"Yes. As in vampire, demon, a-"

Joel cut her off with waving his hand. Once Amber went quiet, he placed that hand on his chin and nodded.

Amber tapped her foot with impatience but was soon pulled to her feet.

Joel gently took a hold of her wrist and pulled her out of her room. She was about to ask where he was taking her, but her mental question was answered as they reached the bathroom.

He closed and locked the door behind the two of them.

Joel proceeded to take a hold of Amber's shoulders and held her so she was facing the mirror. "I think I should show you along with simply telling."

Amber furrowed her eyebrows. "How is holding me in front of a mirror going to prove or-"

"Just look!" Joel cut her off. He stayed behind her and kept his hands on her shoulders.

"Look into your own eyes."

Amber did as told and stared at her brown eyes in the mirror.

"Now I want you to focus on blood."

Amber was taken aback. "Blood?" she asked aloud.

"Just do it," Joel said with a light chuckle.

Amber decided to trust him and went on with it. She focused on blood and stared into her own eyes.

"Think of blood...human blood. Imagine what it would taste like."

Amber found that her mouth was soon filled with saliva. The thought of blood was terrific. It suddenly sounded amazing.

"Amber... you forgot about your eyes," Joel reminded her quietly.

Amber cursed herself silentlyy before returning her focus onto her reflection.

As soon as she reached her eyes, though, she would have fallen back if it weren't for Joel who acted as her cushion. He held her up as her mouth dropped.

Her eyes were purple.