chapter one | "Action!"

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA

SEPTEMBER TWELFTH

(song for the chapter): change your life -iggy azalea & ti-

Luke walked into the school with his hands in his pocket nervously. He stood behind his older sister, who wobbled back and forth in her tall, pink heels. When his sister finally managed to get herself out of the way, he could see the school. He pulled his hands out of his skinny jean's ripped pockets as he scanned what seemed to be every little detail of the school lobby.

It was nothing like he expected. There were kids dancing in the middle of the hallway, doing handstands as some others were singing harmonies in a circle. It was an actual performing-arts school. He just didn't expect it to be exactly like it.

It was so exaggerated in this type of manner. There was graffiti on the walls and every locker had a different design on it. His sister kept trying to convince him that'd it'd be exactly like his old school, and Luke was now convinced not that it was like his old school, but that his sister had her head up her ass.

"See," Grace started as she turned around to face Luke as she gestured her hands to the hallway, spinning herself around a little in the chunky heels, stumbling a bit like she was going to fall over. "It's just a high school."

"Grace," Luke started as she stared at her deeply, trying to make his points obvious to her. "This is not just a high school. These kids are all artsy and creative and I'm just normal," he choked out, suddenly feeling uneasy and nervous about his current placement.

The weekend before, he was at a Hollywood Arts showcase for his sister's performance. But his sister decided that she was going to get too drunk to perform. And Luke being the only person who knew the routine after watching his sister do it about a hundred times, he performed for her. After that, the principal basically begged Luke to leave his old school and come to Hollywood Arts.

"It's okay. There's nothing wrong with being average," Grace said, softly placing a hand on Luke shoulder, making him feel even worse about the situation he was in. "Anyway, you're not alone! I got your back!" Grace cheered, smiling at Luke. He smiled back at her, feeling the slightest bit of comfort and ease.

"Okay," Luke started as he took a deep breath and started to settle himself down. "You know, thanks. It really does mean a lot to -" he started until Grace cut him off with a gasp and obnoxious squeal.

"Oh my god! Are those Weeknd tickets, Dayna?" Grace cut Luke off with a shout down the hall as she ran off to a group of girls on the opposite end of the hall. Luke watched her sprint away in her heels as she waved behind herself. "Bye Luke!" she yelled down the hallway, making Luke sigh and look around nervously until he saw a tiny framed girl walk past him. With his last straw in hand, he decided to talk to her.

"Hey, um-" he started as he whipped out his schedule from his back pocket, beginning to scan through it as the girl cut him off with a squeaky voice.

"-You're Luke, right?" the girl practically screamed, but not drawing any attention to the two. Luke looked up at her. Her blue eyes were bulging out of her face as she had her mouth open like some celebrity was standing in front of her.

"Yeah," Luke smiled, finally feeling like he had something to rest his worries upon with this tiny girl.

"I heard you were awesome last night. I was so happy your sister was too drunk to perform," she giggled, throwing her hands up in the hair outrageously. "Don't tell her, but no one here really likes her. She's kinda, sorta - how do I say this nicely - an untalented bitch."