Epilogue Part 2

I walked down the street towards my car with a smile on my face. Thinking about Blake makes me feel all fuzzy inside. Who knew that I would ever be in love again. I always knew that Blake was the one, but I was too scared to admit it. I was too scared to drag him down with me. I was too scared.

He has opened my heart and I cannot describe how thankful I am for that.

I laugh thinking about the night that Blake proposed to me. I look down at my beautiful ring. He and I fought for hours. He wanted to get me some extraordinary ring, while I wanted something small, simple, and beautiful.

He didn't propose to me correctly-- and honestly I wasn't too surprised. He was never good at planning things, so when we were laying in bed, talking about wanting pancakes, he popped the question.

It was the most random and happiest moment of my life.

I wasn't mad that I wasn't asked the way people are "supposed" to, because it's very untraditional-- just like us-- as clique as that sounds. Wow I have become that girl.

I smile to myself.

"NO! GET AWAY FROM ME!"

My head snaps over to the blue house on the corner of the street. I frown when I see a girl, about fifteen maybe running out of the house. A man was following her and the look on his face brought back awful memories. I slowly inched closer, wanting to hear more.

"Get back here you little bitch!" He spat out harshly. I felt my frown deepen into a scowl. No. Fucking. Way. Asshole.

"Excuse me." I spit out with a sickenly sweet smile on my face. Both of their heads snap over to me. I jog over and stop right next to the girl. I see her body tense.

"This is none of your business sweetheart." He said

I had to hold myself back from taking off my shoe and hitting him with it.

"Number one don't call me sweetheart. Number two, I am guessing your an asshole who likes to take out his anger on this girl right here and I am not going to let that happen." I take a step closer, "I knew someone like you--" I looked over him menacingly. I looked over to the girl, her eyes were wide and scared--but also curious. I turned my gaze, "Is he your dad or your foster parent?"

"Uhh-- foster parent." She muttered. I nodded turning back to him. He had his arms crossed over his chest and his face was the color of fury.

"Who the fuck do you think you are?" He hissed. I rolled my eyes and looked over to the blonde girl beside me. I gave her a comforting smile before I turned back to him.

"Your worst fucking nightmare." I stepped closer to him. "And you are never going to speak to her again do you understand me?"

The man just glared at me, "You don't have the right--"

"Oh but I do, you see I can already tell your house is out of code, I also see kids doing labor practically twenty four hours a day and you calling her a bitch? I am sure the social worker would absolutely love to hear about you abusing the kids in this house?" I ask rhetorically. He practically lets out a growl.

"Fine take the fucking bitch. I didn't even want her anyway."

As he walked away I felt the girl collapse on herself. I grabbed a hold of her, taking her teary face into my hands and I make her look into my eyes. "Hey, hey, hey..." I said soothingly. "It's okay." I tell her, combing her hair back, "I'm going to make it okay."

She nodded softly then the storm hit, and her sobs racked throughout me as she held on so tight.

A weird feeling came over me. It was almost like an epiphany. It was like the world slipped away for just a moment-- and I knew. I would make it okay. Not only for her, but as many children I possibly could. I would help them and make them okay again, just like I had needed when I was them.

Once I got her into the car I learned her name was Mackenzie. Her breathing was much slower as she stared out the window. I knew what she was feeling. She was wondering if this was temporary. If I had saved her only to put her back in the same home with that asshole. If I was going to abandon her just like everyone else. I knew how she was feeling.

"I was a foster kid." I say quietly. I am scared to tell her for some reason. My bravery fell away, leaving pure and real emotion. Her head suddenly whipped in my direction. "I was abused and abandoned more times than I could probably ever count." I pull the car over. The only noise that could be heard was the pitter patter of the light rain. I took a deep breath before looking at her. "I don't take promises lightly, Mackenzie. So when I say I promise you, I mean it."

She nodded her head in confirmation. "I promise you-- You will never be alone again." Her eyes never let go of mine. She took a shaky breath before closing her eyes tight, and I feel my eyes begin to water.

"I am not a person who believes in promises-- especially from a total stranger." She pauses and opens her deep blue eyes. "But for some reason... I believe you." Her next words are barely a whisper. "Please don't make me regret that."

I grab her cold and shivering hand in mine. "I won't."

•••

"Blake?" I call out as I walk into our house. His smiling face greets mine before it becomes a mask of confusion.

"Jenna, who is this?" He asks softly. His eyes leaving mine for a second. He looks at Mackenzie who looks scared. It never occurred to me that she would be afraid of men. I feel like a complete idiot. I grab her hand in mine and she stops shaking and turns towards me. I give her a reassuring smile. "He won't hurt you. I promise." She takes a deep breath before nodding and offering a small smile.

"This is Mackenzie." I say looking at him. I turn back to Mackenzie. "Hey could you give us a moment? There is a TV remote over there on the couch. Knock yourself out." Mackenzie lets go of my hand and smiles and nods stepping around Blake. He notices and frowns. He walks over to me.

"Jenna?" He whispers.

"She's like me, Blake." I offered as an explanation. His eyes soften. "I want her to stay here." I tell him softly. "Permanently."

Blake gives me a long look. I begin to panic. "I know we're too young to have a fifteen year old in the house and I know that but I can't just walk away I won't walk away and--"

Blake kisses me.

"Okay, I'll stop talking now." I say breathlessly. He guided his hand onto my face, his fingers stroking my cheek.

"I am more than okay with it." He smiles brightly and I smiled just as brightly as him.

"I love you." I tell him.

"I love you more than you will ever know." He says pecking my lips again.

•••

I had finally found my true calling. After I officially adopted Mackenzie, I adopted the other kids in that bastards house; Jamie, Jared, and Stephanie.

And I was on my way to being a social worker. I will make sure those kids get good homes with more than amazing parents who will actually care for them. I will not turn a blind eye to the things that happen in these houses. I will save these kids. I will make sure they are okay.

Just like I did for Garrett.

Because no one did that for me-- and I wished everyday that someone would have.

But even now after all of the bad- after all of the heartbreak and pain I am now where I have been wanting to be all these years.

Free.

I am free from Drake. I am free from pain. I am free from the past. I am no longer scared. I am no longer wishful. I am just me. Jenna. I am happy, something I never thought was in the cards for me. And it fucking rocks.

I may be branded by Drakes Silver Scar-- but I am no longer a prisoner of it.

The scar doesn't represent isolation anymore-- it represents hope for a better day.

And that day is today.