Chapter 4: Back To The Start

Quickly, I make my way over to the television. I squat down and open the drawer under it harshly, not really caring about the drawer itself. My hands scoop at the bottom of the drawer, lifting all of the clothes that I put in there 3 days ago. My mind felt like it was on overdrive, the thoughts in my head were all tangled, but only one thing really stuck out. I walk back over towards the neatly made bed where my totebag is and place the clothes on the ivory bedspread. I unzip my bag.

I keep most of my belongings in my bag, but it's nice to have a little bit of stability. Usually when I get to a new hotel, I put some of my clothes in the top drawer next to the fridge. I know it's ridiculous, but for some reason that one little thing, other than my journal, makes me feel almost safe and normal.

With a sigh, I throw the clothes into the bag and zip it up. I swiftly run into the joined bathroom and grab all of my toiletries. I stuff those into the side pocket.

I run my hand through my messy hair and lift the bag up making my way out of the hotel room. I quickly walk down the stairs and into the small lobby. The old women looks at me with confusion as I walk up to the counter. Don't think too much. Don't think too much.

I drop the room key onto the counter and give her a tight smile. "I want to check out, please." I tell her as nicely as possible. The woman tilts her head and gives me a questioning look. This look made me more nervous than I wanted to admit. I needed to get out of here and I needed to get out of here now.

"Was there something wrong with the room?" The lady questions sadly. I sigh, not really wanting to have a conversation-- but I guess that's what I get for staying in a place like Georgia. Everyone is nosey and have to ensure that their guests feel the most "welcome" that they can.

"No Ma'am. I just have some things I need to take care of somewhere else." I lie effortlessly. Lying is nothing new to me anymore. It hasn't been for a really long time. I have been doing it since I was young. When in the system, you trust no one. When they ask you things like, 'How are you?' or 'Are your foster parents treating you right?' you lie. It's as simple as that. You lie or you die-- or you lie because you have to protect someone. That's the way it is. Let's just say I did it for all of these reasons and more.

"Oh, well was it the weather?-- Oh! Was it the service? Because golly I swear the bellman is making us lose our lovely guests and I--" The old lady went off onto a tangent. I was confused why she was pursuing this so much. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at the annoying woman and instead acted like a lady about it.

"Excuse me?" I ask. Her head snaps towards me. She gives me a grim smile.

"Sorry about that, Darlin'. I didn't mean to make your head explode." She apologizes. I nod with a fake smile.

"It's alright. Could I check out? I have somewhere to be." I tell her. She nods giving me a small smile. The old lady takes the room key off of the counter and swipes it through her computer. I pull out the rest of the money I owe her for my stay and leave with a smile.

"Thank you."

"Have a nice day, Darlin'." The woman says as I walk out of the door. I am relieved that I don't have to deal with people like her anymore. It's not that she wasn't nice, because she was, she was just very talkative. Throughout my stay she would greet with creepy smiles and 'home-cooked' treats. It was weird. Or maybe it was just weird because I had never been exposed to anything like that before. I mean, I grew up in Illinois. Illinois and Georgia are two totally different places with two totally different types of people.

It was really late and I know that I have to find the bus stop in the dark. I hate the dark. I walk for about twenty minutes before I see a small group of people getting on a bus. I sprint towards the line and get behind the two other people and wait. Once I was in the front, I handed money to the driver, who gave me a look of distaste before turning towards the wheel and closing the bus doors. Well then.

I get a seat in the back of the bus and sit in the corner seat, putting my earphones in. I knew that the journey would take about eleven hours, so I might as well sleep while I can. I lean my head against the window. I try to shut my eyes, but my thoughts are killing me.

I had to keep reminding myself that I was doing this for Garrett. I knew what was at the end of this tunnel, and I wasn't happy about it. But this isn't about me. This is about Garrett. This is about keeping him safe. This is about keeping my promise.

I made a promise. And I always keep my promises.

Drake struck at me with a strong force, almost knocking me back a few feet. The breath felt like it was wrenched out of my lungs. The second blow was harder than the first, making me fall to the ground. Drake looked at me and laughed, wiping a bead of sweat from his forehead. "You pitiful girl." He spat as he grabbed a bottle of an amber liquid, I was assuming whiskey, and walked out of my room. My heart pounded in my chest. It was the only sound left in the empty room.

I stayed on the floor for a few moments, knowing that if I decided standing up I would fall right back down. Everything was spinning and I felt an uneasiness in my stomach rising at rapid rates. I kept my tears in, not letting myself shed any over Drake. He isn't worth my tears anymore. I felt a bruise begin to form on the right side of my face, running from my cheek bone to my lower right temple.

I couldn't remember a time where I was happy. There was so many problems, so many heartbreaks, and days that I wanted nothing more than to have a fresh home cooked meal on the dinner table. But life never seemed to go my way and that would never change. Maybe I wasn't meant to be happy. Maybe that's what in the cards for me; complete loneliness.

"Jenna?" My little brother calls from the doorway. Looking up I attempt to give him a smile, knowing that he could see the damage on my face as clear as day. He looked at me with panic as he rushed to my side and took ahold of my hand. His 10 year old body was small and frail next to mine as he attempted to see what was on my face.

"Hey, it's fine. Okay? I just bumped my head into the wall again. I am too clumsy sometimes." I lie, giving him a small shrug of my shoulders. My brother was too young and far too innocent to deal with all of this-- and I never wanted him to. If that meant being beat by Drake everyday then so be it. As long as he is safe, nothing else matters. I made my promise to him, and I will never break it. I will never stop protecting him. Ever.

"Jenna, stop being clumsy! You could get really hurt." He told me worriedly, wrapping me up into a bear hug. I tried not to wince, knowing that he would eventually figure it out if I did.

"Okay buddy. I'll try to be more careful." I told him with a small smile. I stuck my hand into his brown hair and ruffled it, making him swatt his arms at me.

"Stop it!" He whined. I nodded with a smile, dropping my hand.

"Hey why don't you call up Kevin or Sean and go hang out with them?" I suggested, my forced smile still in play. His eyes brightened and he jumped up out of his seat. He looked happy. I wanted him to be that way for as long as he could.