Chapter 2: Tennessee

1 month earlier.

Tennessee.

My pay-as-you-go phone buzzed in my pocket, only reminding me that Garrett was calling me. I saw my best friend, Amanda Burrows, three days ago when she had given me money.

"Oh my god." Amanda whispers as she jumps towards me. She engulfs me into a hug that was long over due. When her grip loosens, her hands find my face. "Are you okay?" She asks, her eyes are as wide as the moon. I nod, giving her a small and reassuring smile.

"Thank you for this." I tell her sincerely as she hands me the money. "Really." I tell her. I press my lips together tightly, my eyelids becoming teary.

"You're my best friend and-- you're doing the best that you can." She said. I knew her words held a deeper meaning. Amanda was by no means stupid. She knew. I didn't have to utter the words for her to know. Worry flashes across my face.

"Garrett's fine. But he misses you. He doesn't want you to run." She tells me. I could tell that Amanda agrees with Garrett, but they were wrong. If I turn myself in I will go to jail. I am twenty five years old. It would be the real deal. No sugar coating.

"You know deep down that I can't do that." I shake my head, realizing that I don't have much time. I need to get out of here and travel somewhere else. I hand Amanda a piece of paper, and she looks slightly confused by it. "This has my newest phone number on it." I tell her, closing her hand around it. "Give the number to Garrett as well. Have him call me in three days, okay?" I tell her. She nods. I can trust Amanda with my life and I know she will give that paper to Garrett.

I back away from her giving her a stiff smile. "Bye."

I pull the cell phone from my pocket and flip it open. I answer it, knowing that it's him.

"Jenna?" Garrett asks in a small voice. I feel the pang in my heart from the sadness in his voice.

"Hey Garrett. I miss you." I tell him lightly as I try to keep myself together. "You're okay, right?" I ask him.

"Please come home." He begs. Tears form in my eyes, but I refuse to let them fall. I grip the phone tighter feeling like I could let go of it at any second.

"You know I can't do that." I told him with strain. I hate myself for thinking without acting. I hate myself for leaving him all alone.

"You can," He tries to sway me, "You can. You just have to explain everything." He stated strongly. I tilt my head to the side as I take a seat at the bus stop bench.

"I love you Garrett. Please, just promise me to stay out of this case. Don't lie about anything. If they ask you, tell them. I don't want you getting in trouble for this. Just please-- Promise me." I urge. There is a pause on the other end of the phone. I hear Garrett's sound of frustration. He must have pulled the phone away from his mouth not wanting me to hear it. He is strong for a eighteen year old. He is strong enough to do this. If it means at the end of the day he is safe, then I will hide better. I will learn how to live on the run. I don't want him wrapped up in this. He's too good for this. He's too good for me.

"You know very well I can't do that." Garrett snarls through the phone. I knew Garrett was at a breaking point. We had never been apart for this long. It must have been getting to him as much as it was getting to me.

"You have to." I tell him authoritatively. Deciding that I couldn't handle this discussion anymore. "I love you." I tell him. "Always and forever."

I click the end button and take the sleeve of my shirt and wipe under my eyes. A crying girl would draw attention.

I didn't say goodbye to Garrett, because that would mean that would be the last I'd ever see or hear from him and I couldn't bear that thought.

I wait about fifteen minutes before the bus arrived. I walk up the steps of the bus, cautiously looking around me. When I realize that no one is staring at me I swipe the bus pass I paid cash for and find the closest seat in the front. I take a breath, feeling the constant and vicious beat of my heart against my chest. I look into my open bag and see the only thing that ties me to Drake's murder. I zip up my bag and I close my eyes focusing on my breathing. Garrett always used to call me a heavy breather. I smile slightly at the thought of him. He is the only thing keeping me sane.

The only thing I have left to live for. And I would do anything for him. Anything.