Chapter 30: When Hope Is Lost

"I..."

Mario was having a hard time to make his choice. He couldn't believe what was happen. He couldn't believe Oiram and Salem were right the entire time. Lucian was using him, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser for his own objective. Those times where Lucian saved their lives...was it because he was trying to gain more of their trust?

Well, it worked. Only this time, Luigi was able to see through him, to see what he really wanted. But what choice could he choose? It's either one life, or humanity's life. Here they are.

Lucian holding Luigi as a hostage, as a toy. He now realized this whole time...Luigi was a vessel to a traitor, a true traitor.

"I am a patient man, Mario." Lucian said. "However, you are driving that patient to the end. I do not have all day."

"Mario! Please!" Luigi begged. "Don't do-AH!" Thunder surrounded Luigi as he screamed in pain. Mario's eyes widened in fear.

"LUIGI!" Mario exclaimed worriedly as the thunder disappeared around him. Luigi was breathing heavily as he still felt the effects of it, trying to stay calm.

"Mario, I know you want Luigi back, but we can't-" Lucian blasted a ray of light at Bowser, but he moved our of the way as it collided with the rocky wall behind him.

"Don't bother to interfere." Lucian said. "This is Mario's choice. He chooses the outcome of this war."

"I..." Mario clenched his hands into fists. He looked down at the chest and up at his little brother, who had an exhausted look on his face. He clenched his hands into fists as he sighed.

"...Fine." He said. "You win, Lucian. Take the chest."

"M-Mario...!" Luigi weakly called out to him. Lucian smirked as he heard this answer.

"I am glad you-" "BUT!" Mario interrupted him. "First, let my brother go, or else you won't get it. If you're really a man of your word, then prove it."

"...Very well then." Lucian said. The light vanished around Luigi as he almost fell on the ground, but Mario quickly slid and caught him before he could. Luigi fluttered his eyes open as Mario wrapped his arm around him.

"Mario..." Luigi muttered. Lucian walked over to the chest and he picked it up as he smirked.

"Finally..." He opened the chest and the orbs floated in front of him. However, when he extended his hand out, he brought out something that shocked everyone.

It was the Scepter of Light.

Seeing everyone's reactions, Lucian chuckled as he shook his head.

"Our organization has told us we are not worthy of our weapons. However, when I destroyed the Edge of Darkness. They have assumed my weapon got destroyed in the process of our fight. How blind could they be? Believing their own lies in order to keep balance."

"..." Luigi knew exactly who he was talking about...and it completely angered him. He weakly materialized thunder in his hands, and Mario noticed it.

"Luigi, don't!" It was too late. Luigi blasted thunder right at Lucian, but he only formed a shield behind him. Lucian chuckled.

"You really think you would be able to attack me like that? Your attempts will be futile." He said. "Even if that attack managed to hit me, it will not do you good. Now..."

Lucian held the scepter in front of him and light outlined the orbs. The scepter floated into the air and the orbs then went into the center of the scepter as faint darkness shrouded the scepter. When the darkness disappeared it was now a mixture of yellow and dark violet as if it was Yin and Yang. However, Lucian suddenly yelled in pain as he put both of his hands on his head.