Chapter 28: Reason

Luigi was walking down the path as he had his arms wrapped around himself as he had an angered look on his face. He was still mad about the promise he and his brother made. Mario said he would try to stop putting himself in front of him...but he completely broke that promise and did it anyway. Luigi tightened his grip around himself in anger, remembering what Mario had said to him that hurt him. Those words were the trigger to his anger.

"Stupid Mario..." He muttered. "Why did he do it? How could he say that...?" His voice quivered at that second sentence as he grit his teeth, trying to keep himself from crying. He thought crying was a sign of weakness, fear. He doesn't want to cry, but after what Mario said to him...he couldn't help it.

He looked down at his scarf, the color of his brother, the color that described him. Brave, fearless, strong...selfless. He held onto the tip of it, and he tightened his grip around it as he winced.

"Why am I always the cry baby...?" He muttered in shame. He looked up at the sky. "I always looked up to you, Mario. Why can't you see that? Do you...hate me that much...?"

He sat down against one of the cliffs and he hugged his knees, feeling the cool breeze in the air as a small tear managed to escape from his eye. He grit his teeth, trying to hold back his sobs. The words Mario said to him shot through him like a bullet. It scarred his pride, and his well-being. He could still hear that sentence repeat in his head.

He put his hands on his head, trying to forget that sentence...but it was still there, circling his thoughts. He shook his head in defeat, realizing that there was no escape from it. He was about to stand up and continue, but he heard a voice weakly call out to him.

"Luigi..."

"!" Luigi quickly jumped up onto his feet and he took out one of his light blades as he looked around for the source. He demanded who was calling out to him. To his surprise, he saw a dark corridor form five feet away from him, and he gasped as he saw Salem walk out of it, swaying on his feet.

"Luigi..." Salem dropped to his knees as the corridor disappeared behind him. Luigi was shocked seeing this...but he still kept his guard up.

"Why are you here?" Luigi asked suspiciously, pointing his blade at him. Salem only looked up at him. Luigi gasped as he saw the huge scar on his chest. He hesitated, but he dismissed his blade, ran over to him, and knelt down in front of him.

"What happened to you?" He asked as he helped Salem move onto the rocky wall of the cliff. He still had his hand on his chest as he was breathing heavily. Salem weakly looked up at Luigi.

"Luigi...I don't have much time left." He spoke as Luigi looked a little confused.

"W-What do you mean?" He asked.

"I'm about to lose my form...because Mario...he-" "Mario?" Luigi scoffed at that name as he looked away, but Salem glared at him.

"Luigi...! Listen to me...!" He said. Luigi still didn't face him, but he was still listening. "Mario...he feels guilty about what he said. He really didn't mean to say that. But...he's not doing good right now..."

"Then he can just get himself out of it." Luigi shrugged. "That's what he's been doing for the past decades anyway."

"Luigi...! He can't get himself out of this one!" Salem exclaimed as a small cough left him. "He...He gave into the dark...because of your hurt."