Chapter 10: Not Who You Think

Luigi was sitting on the couch beside Mario, who was laying on his back as he was still unconscious as Luigi had a concerned look on his face. The thought about what happened back at the fight...he can't remember any more details about it, but he does remember first encountering him. The way he looked...it made Luigi shutter a little as he wanted to stop thinking about it...but the thought would never leave his mind.

"Mario will live, Luigi. He is going to be well."

"...I know." He said. "But you still need to tell me what happened while we were fighting Salem.

"For a beginning...what is the last detail you remember?"

"I..." Luigi put his hand on his head for a moment as he thought about it. "The last thing I remember was Salem getting ready to hurt Mario. I called his name and...that's it."

"I see.."

"Lucian...what did you do to me?" Luigi asked as he looked down at his hands. "It felt like I was passed out. But I wasn't, was I?"

"...Luigi...I apologize for my actions. But believe me, I had a very specific reason for what I did."

"That doesn't give me an answer." Luigi said with anger. "What. Did. You. Do. To. Me?"

"...I took control over your will."

"W-What?" Luigi didn't expect this type of answer.

"I did not enjoy watching helplessly as Salem attacked you and Mario. And as Salem was about to attack Mario, I took that chance to take control...and for you to save your brother."

"No...you saved him. Not me." He said as he hugged his knees. "If you didn't control me, then...Mario would be more hurt. So...thanks for that. Thanks for keeping my brother safe for me."

"You're very welcome, Luigi. But I must inform you more about what Salem has done to him."

"W-What did he do to him?" Luigi asked nervously as he looked down at his brother in concern.

"When me and Salem were chosen as the gods of Light and Darkness...the organization who has chosen us let us choose two powers of what we wish. And during the fight Salem cast a barrier around him and Mario. I have tried to use the strength I had left to shatter it...but I was too late."

"W-What do you mean...?"

"...Memories come and go as if they are being absorbed and drained. That...is what Salem has done to Mario. He has erased the memory of the encounter you had with him."

"So, the whole fight...Mario won't..." Luigi's hands clenched into fists as he trailed off in realization.

"I am afraid so. Mario now has no memory of the encounter you both had with his temporary form...and when I had control over you."

"So that means Salem can...erase someone's memories?!" Luigi asked in shock.

"If he had more time he would be able to give that person...permanent amnesia. Mario would have no memory of his life, friends, personality, but most importantly..."

"...He wouldn't remember me." Luigi shivered at that thought. He then sat on the floor...and he held onto his left hand, refusing to let go of it now.