Chapter 23: Inner Demons

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Starlow, and Dreambert were all walking down the path towards Mount Pajamaja as Dreambert was explaining how they managed to find the orb. He didn't leave a single detail out. Considering he still blames himself for what happened to the Zeekeeper. He told them about how long he's been like this...and it was longer than what the four expected.

"H-He's been like this for five months?!" Luigi exclaimed nervously.

"Yes. However, I couldn't contact any of you because my powers have become...weak." He said. "Thankfully, it hasn't taken away my will to fight back the spell, but I still feel guilty about my people."

"Speaking of that, what happened to the rest of the pillos? Eldream? The bedsmith?" Mario asked.

"...They are not like me and Starlow." He said. "Their spell has affected them as well. We pillos are strong...but they weren't strong enough to fight the Zeekeeper."

"Looks like he's tougher then we thought." Bowser said as he crossed his arms. "How just a bird make this much of a mess?"

"He is not a bird, Bowser!" Starlow said angrily. "He's the guardian of the entire island! As we said, he can make people fall asleep at just a few seconds. We have to everything we can to make sure he doesn't do this again!"

"Just saying my opinion.." Bowser muttered under his breath. Mario sighed a little as he looked up at the sky for a moment. The gentle breeze around them didn't feel soothing. Not in a physical way, but something about the air seemed...off. He closed his eyes for a moment trying to figure out what that feeling was.

"Just give in.."

"Huh?" Mario snapped his eyes open as he heard a voice speak. He looked around for the one who said it, but he couldn't see anyone. Peach saw this, and she frowned.

"Mario? Are you okay?" She asked concerned.

"U-Uh...yeah. I'm alright." He said.

"Now why are you lying to your friends, Mario?

You must really want to tick them off to be alone."

Mario winced as he put both his hands on his head. Now everyone was really getting concerned.

"Mario? What's wrong?" Luigi asked as he stood in front of his brother.

"I don't know....!"

"Come on, Mario. You really don't know who this is?"

"Salem?"

"Please, you think I'm that worthless god? Get real. I'm someone that's been with you for a long time, even when you were born I've always been with you."

"Hey plumber! Snap out of it!" Mario felt a huge hand on his shoulder but he gasped as his eyes widened.

"D-Don't touch me!" He shoved his hand away as he took a few fearful steps backwards.

"Mario! Calm down!" Luigi took a few steps towards him, but Mario shook his head as he clenched his eyes shut.

"I'm sorry.." Mario suddenly turned around, and ran off, towards the path to the mountain.