twenty-three

Christmas came and went in a blur for moving into the house, overwhelmed me with the stresses of unloading and distributing the contents of boxes for three people. I packed up more than what I needed before the move, so I spent the majority of the week, leading up to now, organizing, getting rid of the unnecessary items that I can't seem to part with, but that no longer bring me joy, and decorating the newly painted walls. None of which has led me to stop driving by Theo's house to see if he has returned home. I'm beginning to wonder about his existence and what will happen when we finally meet. I continue to remain hopeful and positive, but the scattered landmines of contrary hypotheses still flash throughout my mind. It has now been thirteen days since I let him walk out of my life and thirteen days since I have regretted the decision.

"Wow, Ro. You look stunning," Ben drawls as he grabs my wrist and sends me in a twirl to view the rest of my dress. "This dress is something wicked on you. All my mates are going to be trying to graft you, but not to worry, I'll protect you."

The black sequined dress that Poppy had gifted me the day of her dinner party is the perfect cocktail dress for Ben's father's New Year's Eve party. Apparently, he hosts an extravagant bash every year on the top floor of the swankiest boutique hotel in all of Norwich. Each year is themed differently, and this year happens to be Las Vegas. Being American, I know a thing or two about sin city, but I undoubtedly lucked out having this dress on hand for the occasion. So, when Ben asked me if I wanted to accompany him as his date, I had no reason not to accept his offer. It is either this or bring in the New Year with my dad and Nancy with sounded less than thrilling.

Since the kids are still away and I start my job at the law firm Monday, it has led me to working out every morning before I meet Ben at his café for a morning coffee that's turned into something of a ritual. Although it's only been a week and a half, lifting weights and clean eating have tightened and toned my muscles defining them in the essential areas making my dress cling onto every curve, fitting differently but better than the last time I tried it on.

"Thank you, but you have nothing to worry about," I reply, slightly blushing but assuring him even so. "This chic will only be grafting the bar tonight."

"Duly noted," Ben says as he places his elbow on the countertop to hold him up. "Did you stop by your lad's house today?"

"Yes," I downplay my woe, trying to keep the hype up for the evening. It's considerate of Ben to ask every day, but I don't want to be reminded of Theo. Not tonight. "Still nothing, but let's just enjoy ourselves tonight. This year is going to be a one worth celebrating, and that's what I intend on doing tonight."

"That's my girl. To the new year," Ben raises a flask downing the brown liquor he brought with him, then lifting it to me with an offering expression.

"To the new year," I articulate, tipping my head back to let the burning liquid descend my throat. The liquor causes me to cough and choke, which Ben finds amusing. "How do you drink this stuff?" I ask, still struggling to clear my throat.

"This is proper Irish whiskey mind you, and you're welcome," Ben muses, his disorderly smirk making me giggle. "Now, are you ready for an evening of debauchery at it's finest?"

"Ready as I'll ever be."

As Ben and I ride in the car that he hired for the night, we take a few more shots of whiskey upon the arrival at the grandeur hotel.

When the vehicle comes to a complete stop in front of the hotel, the clerks employed by the hotel open our doors and assist us out of the car.

Ben's hand fans over my lower back as he escorts me through the lobby that leads to multiple elevators. The reception area has massive Christmas trees, all elegantly decorated in a contrary fashion. Ornaments larger than my head hang from the high ceilings conjuring up images of sugar plum fairies and a land of spinning snowflakes. The beauty of this magnificent hotel is intimidating, and it leads me to believe that Ben's father is extremely wealthy. Ben had already revealed to me that his father owned a company, but he never elaborated on the extent of his wealth or what it was he did.