twenty-two

"Theo and Tom are spending the holiday at our cabin," Walter answers after I carelessly ask him about his son's whereabouts.

For the past two mornings, I have gone to Theo's house intending to speak to him, but without fail, he has not been there as my desire to see him is greater than my will to abstain. As I was leaving the Murphy house, I happened to run into Walter, and so taking it as some sort of sign, I decided to do a little investigation of my own.

"Oh, how nice," I belaud, thinking quick on my toes as to what I can ask next in an uncurious and subtle manner. "You must be heartbroken that they won't be around for Christmas." I pat myself on the back at my elusiveness of making the question about Walter and not about Theo. I get the feeling Walter knows nothing about his son's and my relations, and I want to keep it that way.

"Yes, but there will be plenty of presents under the tree from Father Christmas for young Tom when they return after the New Year."

After the New Year? My heart drops into my stomach at the thought of not being able to see him until next year. I can't believe I will have to wait that long.

"I'm sure he will have a lot to be excited about." I smile, trying to conceal the disappointment that's hidden in my tone. "While I have you here, I need to speak to you if you have a minute."

"For you, I have all the time in the world. Is it about you putting in your notice?" Walter questions with burning curiosity in his eyes.

"Yes, I was recently hired at a law firm, and I will be starting a full-time position after the new year, so I will need to be replaced by then, if it's not too much of a problem," I state, now being as good of a time as any to break the news that I can't help them out indefinitely. This should provide him with ample time to hire my replacement.

"That's wonderful news, Ro. I wasn't aware that it was for a solicitor. Not good news for my house, but congratulations," Walter beams reaching his hand out to shake mine. "A step up from the cleaning, I'd say. Your father must be very proud."

"Proud to get me off the payroll." I laugh, but it's hardly a joke. I'm fortunate to have a parent that runs their own company and can offer me employment, but I am of little use to him as an employee, so this new opportunity is beneficial for both of us. "Yes. He's extremely happy for me, thank you."

"I will let Nat know to start looking for a replacement immediately, which will be difficult considering you're the best and most efficient we have had. We will certainly miss you around here, and you're always welcome to come back if need be," Walter affirms. It's always a good feeling when an employer appreciates your hard work. There's a feeling of fulfillment when you execute a task at a high standard being recognized for your performance, even if it's only cleaning a house.

Before I began my first day of work at the bowling alley when I was sixteen, my dad sat me down to lecture me on the importance of going into any career with a relentless and committed work ethic. He explained to me that hard work is the baseline for exceptional accomplishments and that I will come across many co-workers that will do whatever is the easiest to avoid hard work, but that is why I should always do the opposite. It will make me stand out, above the rest, and that lasting success can only be achieved depending on how hard you work for it.

"I appreciate it, but let's hope this one sticks," I say, crossing my fingers.

I'm more than ready to hold a steady and secure career, considering how late to the game I am. I'll be playing catch up for a while, but I do not doubt that this job will lead to other and better opportunities in the future.