fifteen

All Theo would let me know about our date before he dropped Brooks and me off was to dress warmly. With that information, I assume we must be doing something outdoors. December in Norwich is already cold during the days, and at night the temperature drops substantially, becoming close to unbearable for my Texas body. A positive note of this date being outside is that I will have the chance to cuddle up with Theo, and that makes this all the more worthwhile.

The time I spent with Theo today was rewarding in so many ways, and we became more acquainted and comfortable with each other, learning that we have more in common than we thought.

Still guarded, Theo was not divulging any facts that would be considered private, though, but tonight I plan on asking the profound questions that might penetrate his interior blockade. If he wants to move forward with me, he will need to open up and reveal more about himself. When I was younger, I would have settled for not having to know the specifics of the man that I was dating, but with the intelligence I gained from maturing, I want to know the depths of his thought process and, most importantly, his soul. The same way that I know mine and my children. I still believe that two people can unite as one, and although it might be a fantasy, it would never happen if I didn't have the faith that it could eventually happen.

Theo told me he would pick me up at seven, giving me enough time to get ready and spend time with Cami and Brooks. I explained to him not to come to the door when he picks me up and that I will meet him outside. I am still not ready to have a conversation with Cami and Brooks about my dating life, and if Theo and I don't work out, meeting him would be for nothing anyway. When they come back from their father's house, and if Theo and I are progressing, I will discuss it with them then. Until that moment, it's best-kept secret.

After having completed my hair and makeup, I choose a snug pair of black jeans and a bulky unrevealing sweater to wear for our date as I would rather be warm than sexy. In my oversized purse, I stuff a knit scarf and beanie to prepare for the worst of the weather. I even contemplate stuffing a blanket in there to be on the safe side but decided that would be extra dramatic. So, I'll settle for cuddling with Theo to provide me with warmth.

Theo arrives ten minutes early and looks every bit like a knockout wearing my favorite Banff parka. Awaiting me at the passenger door with it opened and his arm laying across it, he's beaming and appears to be blushing, or maybe it's just the cold air. I can't tell which.

"It's been too long since I have seen you," he kids. "You look beautiful, Ro."

"Thank you, so do you," I reply. Theo pulls me into his arms, wrapping them around my back and grazes my forehead with his heated lips. I look up to his lively face where evident joy is expressed in his eyes as we study each other for what feels like minutes, but in actuality is brief seconds. We are consumed by each other, and with what should be an awkward stare is a ravenous desire.

When I finally break free and get into his car, he ducks in front of me, reaching his arm across my body to buckle my seatbelt.

"It's my job to keep you safe. Can't have anything bad happening to my Ro," he breathes out, putting his hand on my thigh and sharing a playful kiss to my nose. I melt at the way he called me, my Ro. This is the kind of feeling that only happens to other people, not me. "I have been waiting all day to do that," he confesses. My heart is outrageously drumming now. Our date hasn't even begun, and already I'm heated and turned on by Theo. I'm a mess.

"Waiting all day to kiss my nose?" I question playfully.

"To kiss any part of you," he replies with a carnal grin and shuts the door, tapping the hood of the car with his palm twice. Still smiling and looking down at his feet, he walks in front of the car, my eyes intently follow him until he's sitting next to me.