Chapter 21

“When will you be leaving?” It had been on Aladdin’s mind the very moment he learned his father had returned.

“I plan to stay until after the wedding. My men know their duties, they will keep our home safe until my return. Perhaps one day you might visit us, I’m sure there are many there who would like to meet you”.

“I’d like to see it; I’m sure Abu would like it too”. 

What else could he say to the man who had been absent for most of his life? Aladdin had thought it would be easier, there was so much his father had missed, so many stories had had to tell him. Yet every time he opened his mouth it was as if something was stopping him. Was it fear? Did he think his father was going to leave him once more? Or was it something else? Something more sinister that demanded he make their interactions as stilted and uncomfortable as they were. Maybe on some level he wanted his father to suffer for what he’d done.

“My boy?” The Sultan’s cheerful voice caught their attention. “Jasmine’s asking for you” he smiled, pausing with a frown as he noticed the tensions between them. “Is something wrong?”

In unison both men glanced at the other before returning their attention back to the Sultan.

“No your highness, in fact we’d only just finished talking when you graced us with your presence” Cassim said.

“My boy? You look troubled”. The Sultan turned to Aladdin, frowning at him.

“No sire, I’m just-it’s been a long day” Aladdin admitted. Well it wasn’t like he was lying.

The Sultan nodded, although he clearly didn’t believe them. “Well then, you’d best go see my daughter. I’m afraid she may be asking for your help with the wedding, I do apologise for her behaviour in advance”.

“In advance?” Cassim and Aladdin asked in unison.

“My dear Jasmine has indeed grown up since you came to the palace my boy, she has developed into a fine young woman. However, I have seen how women can be when preparing for their wedding day. I do hope you won’t hold it against her”.

Aladdin frowned, were women really that bad when preparing for their wedding day? He’d never been to a wedding so his knowledge on the subject was minimal at best. But surely it couldn’t be that bad, could it? Well the Sultan seemed to think so. Aladdin was reminded of the Jasmine he’d first met; the rude, spoiled princess whose only thoughts revolved around herself and perhaps Rajah. If what the Sultan said was true and the man had been married so he would know, then it didn’t bode well. Aladdin sighed.

“Aladdin? Aladdin! There you are, come with me” Jasmine grabbed his arm as soon as he was within her sights.

“Wha-hey! Where are we going?” Aladdin yelped as he narrowly avoided crashing into an expensive (and very heavy) vase full of flowers.

“We’re going to make plans for my wedding. There’s just so much to do, there’s the flowers and the food and the dress and the-” Aladdin felt no guilt over tuning her out. Not even a little.

“Are you listening to me?” Aladdin immediately nodded in response. Seemingly satisfied, Jasmine resumed her speech. “We’ll need to send these orders out immediately. I’ll have the servants get onto them right away”. Jasmine suddenly fell silent.