Chapter 10

Enjoy!

“How are you doing this?” Jasmine asked.

Aladdin handed her the cloak, waiting for her to hand over her jewellery to be stored in her room.

“I have my ways” he grinned. “You ready?” he asked.

Jasmine nodded, her face hidden by the plain brown hooded robe. “I’m ready” she confirmed.

“Good. Now follow me, but don’t show anyone your face”. Aladdin paused at the rather unimpressed look Jasmine gave him. “Uh, I guess you already knew that. Sorry” he apologised, sheepishly rubbing the back of his neck. 

Aware of the risks that came with escorting the princess out of the palace, Aladdin had decided to start small. First his goal was to sneak them both to the servant’s quarters. A test to see whether anyone would recognise Jasmine. He’d taken the necessary precautions of course. She wore a servant’s uniform he’d smuggled in from the laundry room and her jewellery had been stored in her room. While it wasn’t perfect, it was a start. For the biggest risk came from getting Jasmine out of the palace, a place where just about everyone knew her face. But in the markets where few had ever laid eyes on her, they knew there would be little chance of her being recognised.

It took longer than anticipated for the two to reach the servant’s quarters. Mainly because they’d been forced to duck into various alcoves, in order to escape the guards patrolling the palace. But eventually they did, although not without a few close calls.

“You okay?” Aladdin asked, letting out a sigh as the last guard turned the corner.

Jasmine nodded, “I’m fine” she affirmed. Although truthfully her heart was pounding and her hands were trembling. Whether it was the idea that she was doing something so forbidden, or the realisation that she was getting out of the palace with a kind and very handsome boy, Jasmine wasn’t sure.

“Come on. We have to get you out of here fast”.

Aladdin guided her through the door leading to the servant’s quarters. You’d think what they’d just gone through would be the hard part, but you’d be wrong. While the risk of a guard catching them was great, the chance that a servant would catch them was far greater. For just about every servant could recognise the princess on sight, a number having served her personally. Of course that was when she was at her best; dressed in fine clothing and expensive jewels. Dressed as she was now, there was a chance she wouldn’t be recognised. But Aladdin didn’t want to wait around to find out.

“This way”. Aladdin guided through one of the far doors. Once through they found themselves in the courtyard. “Come on”. Aladdin led her to the servant’s entrance, it would be the last obstacle in their way.

“And where are you two going in such a hurry?” One of the guards guarding the servant’s entrance made his presence known.

Jasmine froze at that, surely this man would recognise her. But Aladdin was prepared for such an instance. “To the marketplace, my master has sent me to fetch his order. She is one of the princess’ handmaidens. She’s visiting her sick mother, I offered to accompany her. Make sure she was safe”. Aladdin responded.

Outwardly Aladdin appeared calm and relaxed, if a little mischievous. Inwardly however he was doing his best to swallow down his anxiety. Should this go wrong he was in for a whole heap of trouble. And not even Jafar would be able to get him out of it. Kidnapping the princess, no matter how willing she was, would not be looked upon favourably by anyone.

“How kind of you” the guard sneered, although his face soon changed upon glancing at the beauty beneath the hood.

“Such a beautiful girl, perhaps I should escort you myself” he murmured, reaching a hand out to get a better look.