Chapter 3

Aladdin could safely say he’d never been so terrified in his life. The guards and their swords had nothing on this man and that insufferable smirk he had on his face. “No way”. Perhaps not the most eloquent response to the question but at least it got his answer across clearly.

“Oh? My dear boy I’m afraid you misunderstood me. You seem to believe you have a choice in the matter and I can assure you that you do not”. Jafar replied, calm and collected as always, a sharp contrast to the boy stood before him.

“You can’t force me to become your slave. I won’t do it, you can’t make me!” Aladdin growled, only to find a hand suddenly wrap itself around his throat.

“I think you’ll find I can boy. I am the right hand man of the Sultan himself, the Vizier of this palace. I can do whatever I want”. Jafar gave a light squeeze to his throat before allowing to boy to drop to the floor in an ungraceful heap. It was a good position for him to be in, on the ground looking up at his master, it suited him Jafar mused.

Aladdin coughed, rubbing his throat as he brought himself to his feet once more. He was ready to utter a retort before a hand came up to silence him.

“Are you really in a position to refuse work boy? Honest work at that. I wouldn’t say I’m asking for much, I simply need a servant to fetch my things from the market. A servant to carry out my errands for me. You know the streets and its problems; unlike those fools I had working for me in the past. You have a head on your shoulders; it’s not just filled with sheer stupidity. You need the money and I need a competent servant, an ideal match wouldn’t you say? Besides, I can’t imagine you have many other options. You need this job and you know it. I’d advise you to take it”. Jafar warned, his glare pinning the boy in place. It wouldn’t do to have him try and escape now would it.

“You want to make me your slave, to carry around your things like I’m a pet”. Aladdin started only to be cut off by Abu’s protests. “I didn’t mean it that way Abu; you know you’re more than a pet to me”. Aladdin tried to reassure.

“I want you as my servant not my slave. Not yet at least. You will be paid of course, and should you wish I’m sure you will be provided accommodation in the palace. As for those ridiculous rumours about the male servants being castrated to protect the princess, well I’m sure I can convince them to leave you alone. You won’t be seeing her anyway, so it shouldn’t be a concern”. Jafar reasoned, it was clear he wasn’t about to give up on having the boy for himself.

“You mean it’s true? They really do that?” Aladdin asked, wide eyed.

“To some, those that work near the princess or come into contact with her. A necessary action to preserve her chastity for marriage. The Sultan was quite insistent on it; it wouldn’t do for his only daughter to sully herself with anyone less than a prince. Just think of the scandal”. Jafar answered, smirking as the boy grew noticeably pale.

“You promise they won’t do it to me? If I agree to work for you?”

“You have my word as the Sultan’s Vizier. I will ensure you remain untouched and with your body intact. Do we have an agreement?” Jafar asked, seeing the boy’s resolve weaken. He hadn’t intended on castrating the boy anyway, it was unnecessary as he likely wouldn’t ever see the princess. And Jafar could admit the boy was very attractive, it’d be a shame to permanently maim such a handsome young man. It’d only make things terribly boring in the long run.

Aladdin glanced at Abu for support, the monkey nudging him with his head as he gave Aladdin what he asked for. It was true he needed the money, and he’d even been offered a room in the palace. He wasn’t sure he’d take it, but the money at least was something he could take without regret. Besides, it seemed like it’d be mostly manual work, something Aladdin was used to. Fetching and carrying, that sort of thing. It didn’t sound all that hard. But then there were rumours floating around about the man, they spoke of terrible misfortune that came to those who angered him. Aladdin wasn’t sure he wanted to willingly place himself in such danger; Jafar’s temper was well documented after all.