Chapter 17

I hope you enjoy this chapter!

“I can’t do this” Jasmine said so softly, Aladdin barely heard her.

“Yes you can. Just stop acting the way people have been telling you to act. Stop behaving like the princess they keep telling you that you should be. Start acting like the princess that you are. Just be yourself. Only maybe you could stop throwing tantrums whenever you don’t get your way”. Aladdin squawked as a silk pillow hit him in the face, knocking him from the bench. “Hey!” Aladdin chuckled, “You said you wanted me to be honest. I was being honest, like you said”.

Jasmine rolled her eyes at that, although she had a hard time keeping the smile off her face. “Well you didn’t have to be that honest” she stuck her tongue out playfully.

Luckily for the pair of them, they were currently alone. Both were glad for it, as it meant they could be themselves. There were no rules to follow, no expectations to meet, they were alone together. In any other circumstances, the Sultan would likely have been furious. The idea of a boy being alone with his daughter in her room, before they were married, well it just simply wasn’t done. But then, it was only Aladdin. The boy who was possibly Jasmine’s only friend, not to mention Jafar’s lover. It was really only the latter that convinced the Sultan to leave the two alone.

“So are you ready?” Aladdin asked her, standing up as he dusted off his pants.

“I suppose” Jasmine sighed, coming out from behind the screen and revealing her outfit to him.

“Wow” Aladdin gaped, Abu’s expression matching his own as the monkey began to clap his hands in earnest.

Jasmine giggled at the sight, bending over to kiss the top of Abu’s furry little head. “Thank you Abu” she smiled, though it soon faded as she noticed Aladdin had yet to respond. “What is it? Is something wrong?” Jasmine felt some of her old insecurities begin to rear their ugly heads.

Aladdin shook his head, snapping himself out of his daze. “No, sorry. Uh, you just…you look really nice”.

It was enough to make Jasmine blush. “Thank you”.

Jasmine did indeed look very nice. Dressed in a scarlet outfit, very similar to her usual blue clothing, it only served to accentuate her features. From her tiny waist and hourglass shape; contrasting beautifully with her dark hair and skin. It clung to every curve like a glove, carrying a trim of gold around the edges to symbolise her wealth and status. Truly it was an outfit fit for royalty.

“Are you ready?” Aladdin asked once more.

Jasmine took a moment to admire her reflection in the mirror. Finally she nodded, albeit a little uncertainly. “I’m ready”.

Jasmine was nervous, understandably so, about what was about to occur. No she wasn’t getting married, not just yet anyway, but in just a few moments she’d be meeting with yet another suitor. But this time it was different.

Jasmine could hardly count the number of men she’d had vying for her hand. Each one she’d met had been vain, arrogant and only concerned with money and power. Not one of them had cared about her, about her dreams and desires. But this man, Aladdin assured her, was different. How so she wasn’t sure, but to have gained Aladdin’s trust, the man had to have been very special indeed.