Chapter 8 | Await Me

"Hearts are made to be broken."
- Oscar Wilde, De Profundis

**********

**

          I follow the scent but am disappointed to sense it fading away. Did she not sense me or my scent? I'm puzzled yet I follow. I come to a halt at a place amidst the greeneries as I sense the strongly there. It's dark apart from the moonlight pouring on my face. Because of the moonlight focusing on my face, I cannot see beyond me. My wolf's senses seemed to have betrayed me.

    I focus my all my concentration ahead of me as I feel a new yet familiar warmth. I inch closer to it as my heart palpitates and my blood pumps vigorously waiting for a response from the other. Then all of a sudden there is this electric pull pulling me towards her. And I hear the most melodious voice ever but in an undertone.

    "I, Blythe Archer, reject you, Maverick Devraux, as my mate, alpha, and king,"

    I hear a quick scurry of footsteps as the statement registers my mind and my wolf howls in pain. I pull myself together and follow the trail of scent and am lost in the middle of nothing. The scent seems to have vanished into thin air. I feel immense pain as if someone clawed and ripped out my thudding heart out of its cage.

**

    I slow down the car and step on the brakes to park at my office at the pack house. Getting out of the car I revive myself out of the doors that remain to be closed down my memory lane.

    I walk into my office nodding at the pack members passing. 'Chris, I'm at my office.' I mind link him. As soon as I sit myself down he strolls in donning a plaid shirt with khaki pants.

    "Rick," he begins and I motion him to go ahead. "We have found not two but three dead bodies of rogues in their human form. All have been ripped and killed in a gruesome manner. I've got the forensic department do their tests. Apart from the blood groups of the rogues, another person's blood too was found. Oh and fingerprints too. I've ran the different fingerprints with those of the rogues. Three matched leaving one unidentified. That one was tested in parallel to the pack members but it was a dead end as none of them matched," he pauses letting me digest the information and then continues.

    "The unidentified fingerprints and blood should belong to the murderer. The forensic had the blood analyzed to find something odd. The blood belongs to none of the ordinary types. It is something different by itself. I had it passed over to Adele's lab. She was occupied at that moment but she promised she'd look into it. Do you want to me to send the fingerprints to the neighboring pack for further analysis?" He finishes.