Chapter 7 | Tears? But Why?

"That's the ideal meeting...
once upon a time, only once,
unexpectedly,
then never again."
-Helen Oyeyemi

**********

       Dark brown wavy hair with streaks of blond that enhanced her pale skin tone

       Dark brown wavy hair with streaks of blond that enhanced her pale skin tone. Thick eyelashes that topped her eyelids, which were closed indicating that she was in deep slumber. Her eyes. Oh Goddess... Her eyes were of a unique hue of emerald. The colour of the first spring leaves, the colour of freshly cut grass. A softer yet vivid shade with dusky pools of liquid tar in the center. Those eyes that were always hopeful had always mesmerized me.

I look down at her as she sleeps on the pack hospital bed. I hear the door to the room open. I turn to see Jake and Adele come in. Adele is our pack's chief doctor. Her father died in a rogue attack, ending in her taking up her father's position soon after. Adele moves near Blythe's bed and checks the weird machines attached.

"She's gaining consciousness gradually. She can't hear us now of course but, in about ten minutes she will." She reports to me.

"Why did she faint?" Jake asks.

My wolf gets peeked up at Jake's inquisition. Why is he so bothered about our mate?

But I turn to see genuine concern and brotherly love in his eyes. I'm awed. How is he attached to a person he only saw twice or so? 'She has that power over people,' my wolf retorts. True. I had realized that, after I had heard her voice for the first time.  After she had rejected me. After she left me. Her voice had kept me in company ever since. Thirteen words in total.

"That's the thing Jake. I could not figure that out. If it was dehydration, hunger, stress or tiredness she would've been up by now. But she isn't. I took some blood sample for testing. I myself will test it. I will keep you updated, Alpha." Adele answers Jake's question.

I just nod. She continues, "After all, she's my Luna."

My head whips around to look at her as the statement leaves her lips. "Did he tell you?" My voice hoarse as I refer to Jake as he.

"I could pretty much tell it. You never left her side for this much time. Also at the arena she kept on thrashing even when Chris held her. She only calmed down after you held her. You wouldn't let me tend to her until you had all the male staff out of the pack hospital. Jake has concern and sorrow laced all over his voice, which doesn't happen often or rather as long as I've known him. So surely, she should be your mate after all." She elaborates with a sad smile.

I turn to Blythe and gaze at her for how long I don't know. Jake interrupts the silence, "Rick, Chris is ready with the report on those dead rogues. He's waiting in your office. Do you want me to tell him to come over?"

I shake my head. "I'll go over. Adele," I pause causing her turn to me. "Tend to her and let me know when she wakes up. Also drop her at my house." She mumbles a, "Yes, Alpha," as her eyes cloud over with an unrecognized emotion. And her eyes glisten with what? ...Tears? But why?

Was she still worried of her father? Today was her dad's second death anniversary. That's why she hugged me in the arena after she visited her dad's grave. But why now? She is neither a teary person nor a person who dwells in the past.

I rise from my seat and walk towards the door. "Jake, stay here with her. Come back after she wakes," I command. His eyes widen in surprise but he bows his head. Probably wondering why I had put him in charge after those caveman acts. Whatever cheesy jealousy attitudes my wolf displays Jake will always be a person who I trust with my life. And here I am, trusting him with my life.

As I walk out of the hospital to my Mercedes Benz SUV my thoughts drift to that day. The day which changed my life. The day I will never forget. The day I was rejected.

**

All the Alphas and Lunas present were on the roll. The DJ was about to begin. Yet they were ecstatic with the ballroom dancing. It was the Annual Alpha Ball hosted yearly by the King. And yeah, I was the King.

The Great Ballroom was decorated in an extravagant style. The crystal chandeliers and classy floral masterpieces enhanced the grandeur. "Dude, come on take a swig." That was Jake, my best friend. He was already wasted and was calling for more. My other best friend Christ too was equally drunk. They both leave towards the bar setup unstably.

"Maverick, how are you feeling sweetheart?" My mom's voice startles me. She was really worried of me being mate less and was pressuring me on taking a pack tour for that. A pack tour is when a wolf especially an Alpha takes a tour around all packs in order to find his mate. I know that I need a mate for ruling successfully. But leaving my pack for such a long time is not appreciable according to me. "Good, mom," I mumble kissing her cheeks.

She sits down beside me and I know she's going to give me the stereotypical 'get-a-mate' talk. I've had enough of this talk for more than a year. Since I turned nineteen. "Rick," she pauses, "Honey, I think you should listen to us. You dad and I both want what's best for you. We've all passed this phase in life. Listen to me. I know how you feel-"

"No mom, you don't!" I cut her off.

"I've had enough of this prep talk mom. You think you know what I feel. But you know what you really don't know how I feel."

"I'm trying what I can. I'm really not going on this stupid tour. What a ridiculous idea? I'd rather stay mate less than leave my pack for a long time. You know how the rogues are waiting to invade this royal pack. And this mate crap. The Goddess put whoever it is with me for a reason and we'll definitely meet when it's time. I surely can wait coz I'm sure it'll be worth it." I hiss managing to keep my anger at cheek, not wanting to attract attention. I push back my chair trying to remain calm and walk out.

As I walk through the great doors, I look back to see her wiping her tears. 'O Goddess I'll have to deal with her later.'

I dismiss my royal guards and get into my car. I shrug my jacket off and throw it on the passenger seat, driving out of the palace grounds. I step on the gas swerving through the pack territory in minutes. I park my car on the side of the road and walk out, heading into the woods.

I begin to walk at an inhuman speed but my speed reduces as my temper lowers. I'm completely calm as I reach my favourite place on earth. There were five waterfalls in total. The clear water cascaded from the spring and reached the stream, where it fell gently. I sit down cross legged on the ground.

Today was full moon. The moon Goddess was present right above the falls in all her magnificent and angelic presence. I gaze at the calm waters as it soothes my mind. "Do you smell that wonderful scent?" My wolf chimes in. I take a short sniff to be filled the most amazing scent ever. A mixture of vanilla and cinnamon.

The scent was urging me to come closer. It was pulling me like gravity. I spring up to my feet amazed by it as my wolf growled something that in ever thought I would hear in my life. "Mate!"

**********

Hi guys,

Hope you liked it.
Love y'all..... Mwah....

-Vishael