Chapter 17 | As The Horizon Consumes The Sun

"A large drop of sun lingered on the horizon and then dripped over and was gone,
and the sky was brilliant over the spot where it had gone,
and a torn cloud, like a bloody rag, hung over the spot of its going.
And dusk crept over the sky from the eastern horizon, and darkness crept over the land from the East."
-John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath

**********

*********

     Twirling around "This is just wonderful," Tessa squeals, "But is it always this fancy?" I resist the urge to roll my eyes at her. She just came out of her shower. "I know you want to roll your eyes at me, Blee," she says sashaying into the walk-in closet in a fluffy robe. Both Tessa and Aaron dropped by today, given her squealing.

    "What shall I wear?" She wonders out loud from the closet. "It's just lunch with me. Just me," I go in saying to her. Aaron said he had a video conference with his clients. "Whatever. I don't dress for anyone else. I dress for myself. Help me..." She whines.

      "Okay, what about this?" I pull out a pair of black skinny jeans and a light green bell sleeved off-shoulder blouse. "Awesome," she squeals as grabs them from me.

     Stripping down, she grabs some underwear and dons them as I walk back to the bed. She comes out, fully dressed and strikes out a model pose, blowing out a kiss to me. I fake out catching her blown kiss and bringing it to my heart. We both burst out laughing at our craziness.

         After I had Ron's lunch sent up to his room, we left for ours. Our lunch was at a local burger shop that was in walking distance to the pack settlements. Royal guards followed us wherever we went. Apparently it was customary according to Rick. Too bad, I didn't want to push that guy. Tessa kept flirting with some guard. Harmless flirting. But to her disappointment that guard remained out duty conscious and serious and focused on his baby sitting.

**

       "Let's go," He says walking out of the PIR and slipping his hand in mine. We had
just wrapped up the interrogation. Even these set of rogues revealed nothing. They had said they didn't know how they ended up here. They actually didn't know that it was the Royal territory or that they had trespassed. And we believed that.

     It was visible that it was an outright lie. It was preplanned. We were sure of it. They also had brought ashes. Ashes of a dead wolf. It masked their scents. At the same time it was fatal to werewolves, if consumed it could cause painful death, slowly burning our insides. If they were carrying it...

     This was the second time this had happened. After they had trespassed on that day we were out in wolf form, we had concluded nothing. They wouldn't confide in anything. They kept saying that they didn't know anything. We knew it was a lie, but why did it seem like the truth?