Chapter 24 | Completely Heartless

"I have a theory that selflessness and bravery aren't all that different."
-Veronica Roth, Divergent (Divergent, #1)

*********

**********

**********

       Nodding at them, I explain what I saw again and who I was sure I should be. "How can you be so sure, Blythe?" Adele asks me. "I am and this is not about gut feelings," I reiterate confidently.

       "Rick, Xandro has been spotted in his pack," Chris reports. "Ask them to capture him," Rick's order catching all of us by surprise.

    "But, what about Kay and Mae? What if his goons do something to them?"

   "They won't if they want their Alpha unscratched. Let's give them a dose of their own medicine. Chris, pass the order," his tone concluding.

**

     "WHERE ARE MY SISTERS, XANDRO?" Rick roars, his fist colliding the other's jaw. Xandro spits out some blood and laughs. His laugh malignant and condescending.

     He hasn't uttered a word since he was caught. Except for a couple of shitty comebacks and snarky comments.

     "Find it out, Devraux. Why do you care anyways? The black haired one. What's her name? Ah, Mae. She isn't even your sister. Why the hell would I tell you? Maybe if you ask your Luna to ask me, maybe I would. She knows what I want after all. She gives, I give and that's a promise," he says with a conspicuous wink. He's treading on a thin line. Not good, Hale. Rick has been edgy throughout the evening.

    And I'm right again. His malicious reply earns him continuous blows. The mixture serum of wolfs bane, silver poison and liquid silver is injected into Xandro as hewrithes in agony and we all leave the cell.

   Completely heartless, turning a deaf ear to Xandro's screams.

**

    "The scents have vanished as it seems to be," Chris sighs exasperatedly. Rick, Chris, I and some guards were trying to track down both Mae and Kay. Jake stayed back as the Beta to guard the pack.

     Ashes had been used to mask the scents.

     The Rapscallion pack was in lockdown. All the buildings on the pack were checked thoroughly only to reveal nothing suspicious. As time ticks by, worry and guilt burdens my heart and I find myself reconsidering my decision. Maybe I should've given him my locket?

      But how could I?

      Something no one except three people apart from me know about this; Me, Theo, Aaron and Rick. Ana too did, I guess. Well, she's no more now. She passed away a year ago.

      That my lifeline was tied to that locket.

     The locket was an inheritance in our family. I had told rick about it already. When Ana foresaw my prophecy, she also asked me whether my family had a heritage treasure. It could've been a locket, book or even a feather. I had replied that I had a locket that was gifted to me by my grandfather. It was crescent shaped, silver in colour. She made me promise that I should never lose it. If it was destroyed, the destruction this world sees would be immeasurable.