Chapter 5 | In Other Words

""You asked why I couldn't forgive you," Nick said, very quietly, and I jumped a little. "It was because you were the love of my life, Harper. And you didn't want to be. That's hard to let go.""
-Kristan Higgins, My One and Only

**********

        I hurl myself towards the warmth and am met with a hard rock like structure

        I hurl myself towards the warmth and am met with a hard rock like structure. My eyelids flutter open as I register my surroundings. The hard rock like structure seems to be a hard yet muscular chest clothed in a linen shirt. The warmth seemed to be radiating from the person carrying me in bridal style. I peek through my eyelashes to be met with the glorious face of my mate.

     I quickly shut my eyes close. Not wanting him to put me down. I'm fazed by the proximity but my heart seems to yearn for more.

    "I know you're awake."

    Holy hell! Is he going to put me down?

    He comes to an abrupt halt as I open my eyes and pushes open a door. His office, I guess. He walks in and puts me down on a comfy couch. He sits down on the loveseat opposite me.

    "How are you feeling?" He asks. "Okay," I whisper.

    I impatiently wait as he gazes impassively ahead of me. After a wait of never ending two minutes I decide to begin. "We have to talk," I say confidently. He looks back at me and says, "No, you need to decide."

    His blue eyes with pools of molten charcoal in the center pull me into a trance. I need to think. I avert my eyes to the carpeted ground. I feel his eyes roaming all over myself. And all of a sudden the room's temperature seemed to have notched up. "I...I..." I struggle to form a sentence properly. Blythe, you can do this. Taking a deep breath I look up at him and speak my heart out.

    "Maverick, I made a huge mistake which has now resulted in this trivial situation. I want to rectify it. I want...Us."

    He inhales deeply. I did notice his widening of eyes when I called him by his name. First time I did. "Blythe, you're asking for a second chance. I'm scared for my pack. It needs a Luna..."

    A little part inside of me shatters. He wants me for his pack. Tears cloud my vision, I rise and walk to the open window away from him. Gazing at the moon I ask quietly, "That's all you want me for.... the pack.... What do you want then?"

    "I'm not sure of what I need anymore. My mind tells me to accept your rejection." He replies overwrought. I restrain my tears with all my might. "So do my heart and my wolf," he continues, "Yet a little part of me yearns for you." Blinking out my tears I turn to him.

    Bathed in the moonlight, his tanned face looks pale while he himself looks vulnerable.

    Turning my face to the moonlight, I wander in the sea of thoughts in the attempt of finding my heart's final decision. And it always comes down to the pair of soothingly, serene cornflower blue eyes.

    "I've made up my mind, Maverick. I facing the consequences of a hasty decision due to circumstances. I do want to enlighten you but, am afraid of the unfavourable outcomes. I regret it, I really do. And I'm sorry."

    "This hurts a lot to say. But just think of yourself in my position. What would you do?" He asks. I gaze at the moon deprived of an answer.

    "If you would prefer it you can stay and go through the acceptation trials to become a pack member, followed by the pack acceptation ceremony. Or else... You could leave to your home, I guess. Either way it's your choice."

    In other words, we'll never work out.

       Tears pour as I realize the unspoken decision. I wipe my eyes by the back of my hand. Picking up my shattered pieces one by one, I build myself as I had done a thousand times before. Turning him, I see him too gazing at the moon with a stolid expression.

    "I'll go through the acceptation trials," I say firmly although my voice wavers a bit as walk to the door. He nods his head slowly and says, "I'll arrange them to be held tomorrow. Okay?" I nod at him and leave. As I close the door behind I hear him whisper something that made my heart skip a beat.

    "And then maybe we can hope for more..."

**********

Hi guys,
Hope you liked it.
Vote and comment if you liked it.
-Vishael