Chapter 40

Jennie awoke in the morning feeling weightless. She'd slept through the night without a single nightmare, and was feeling rested and, well, free.

Her parents were done with. They couldn't get near her, not now – she knew they were smart enough to obey the restraining order, and it didn't even matter to Jennie that they hadn't received the media shitstorm that should have ensued. She just didn't care about them anymore.

What she did care about was right there in her arms. At some point during the night, their positions had flipped so that Jennie now lay on the bottom, with Jisoo on her, the dark-haired's face pressed into her chest and arm slung lazily over Jennie's stomach. She was still fast asleep, which in itself was a rare occurrence. Usually Jisoo was the first one awake.

Jennie now looked down at her sleeping face, and saw that she was curled up against Jennie, as though she were trying to hide from something, protected from the world in Jennie's arms. Jennie knew Jisoo hadn't passed through the trial without it taking a toll on her; she knew Jisoo was exhausted, and had already made sure to tell her some words of solace to try and comfort her. Even though the trial had been about Jennie, and they both knew that, Jennie was also very aware that Jisoo had been affected.

And so she remained still and allowed Jisoo to sleep, focusing on the feel of Jisoo's chest expanding with each deep breath which she inhaled. Her hair had been in a bun when they'd gone to bed, but it had undone itself during the night, and golden locks were splayed messily around Jisoo's face, framing it in the most adorable way Jennie knew. She yearned to reach up and trace the features of Jisoo's face, to run her fingers up her jaw and along her cheek to tap at her adorable nose, to run her thumb over her cracked and dry lips which still looked irresistible to her. But she didn't; she remained still, knowing how easily Jisoo was woken in the mornings, and simply admired and enjoyed the peace and quiet.

About half an hour later, Jisoo stirred in her sleep, and when one eye cracked open just slightly to peer at Jennie, the brunette was unable to keep the smile from her lips.

"Morning, sleepyhead," Jennie said softly, her hand running up along Jisoo's arm. Jisoo opened her mouth to reply, but instead she yawned, and hid her face into Jennie's chest in such an endearing way that Jennie couldn't help but laugh.

"How long have you been awake?" Jisoo asked. She shuffled a little bit upwards and laid her head onto the pillow beside Jennie's, her eyes drowsy and hazed over from still being extremely sleepy.

"A while."

"You could have woken me."

"You looked so pretty."

Jisoo rolled her eyes and kissed her, slowly and deeply, and Jennie sighed into the kiss; her arm around Jisoo's waist pulled her fully atop her, and for a long, lingering moment, not a word was spoken.

"How'd you sleep?" Jisoo asked. Her hand was tracing the lines of Jennie's face, and couldn't fail to notice the bags under her eyes which had been ever-so prominent for almost two weeks. She did think they appeared a little lighter, but that might just have been the sunlight pushing through the curtains of their bedroom.

"Wonderfully. You?"

Jisoo smiled, but that smile turned into another yawn, and Jennie laughed again.

"I'll take that as a yes," Jennie smiled, "Seeing as you look like you're ready to go back to sleep."

Jisoo laid her head down onto the pillow and buried her face into Jennie's neck, her lips pressing a few kisses along her skin. "I'm just so comfy."

Jennie sighed. "I know you are."

"Why do I feel like there's a but coming?"

"But-" Jennie began, and Jisoo groaned. "I need to pee."