Chapter 57

"Hey, don't move."

"It tickles."

Jisoo sighed and pushed Jennie's shoulder down. "I know it does. But don't move or you'll mess it up."

Jennie grinned and turned her head back to look at the book spread out before her. She could feel the brush moving along her back, the paint cool and wet and tickling her, but kept as still as she could. Jisoo was straddling her lower back, and the fact that she had neglected to wear anything other than underwear was giving Jennie very alternative ideas to how their positions could go. But Jisoo was painting on her back, her brushstrokes slow and steady, and Jennie had promised not to move.

Jisoo liked painting on Jennie's back. Not only did she really enjoy the way her back looked as it was, she really liked the intimacy of the whole setup – she was sitting atop Jennie's back, with Jennie on her stomach on the bed, a book set before her and her hair tied up in a bun, a few stray hairs falling out and tickling her neck. She reached over and caught a dollop of white paint on the tip of her brush, and used that to make little dots along the wave she'd been painting, which she then blended with another brush – there were two in her mouth, one in her right hand, and one in her left. The image she'd been painting on Jennie's back had originally been just a beach, but it had evolved into an image of the ocean at night with the night sky stretching overhead, stars and planets and galaxies strewn across the blended background of dark blues and violets. The image itself ran all along Jennie's back and shoulders, and at each shoulder it fettered away into little clouds that started off looking like pieces of the night sky, but which then became lighter and lighter as she'd painted along Jennie's arm, all the way to her hand. It looked like the galaxies themselves had broken into little pieces and fallen along her arms, and Jisoo was very pleased with how it'd turned out. She was now working on the ocean itself whilst she waited for the background of the night sky to dry, and was fixated on the little details, like the froth on the backs of the waves and the little reflections of the stars and the moon, which she'd painted on the corner of Jennie's right shoulder blade.

"Do you think Chaeyoung's back by now?" Jennie asked. "She said her plane would land at about eight in the morning. It's nine now."

Jisoo hummed. "If she is, you won't see her for a while. I think Lisa needs some time with her, don't you?"

Jennie laughed gently. "Yes, she does. And I get it."

"But you miss her."

"Yeah."

"She'll come by once she manages to wriggle herself out of Lisa's grasp, which, by the way, is almost an impossible feat. She may be small, but Lisa's strong."

"Don't I know it," Jennie chuckled. "Do you even remember that night she challenged us all to an arm wrestling match?"

"Do I? The back of your hand was bruised for days, Jennie. I told you not to do it."

"She looked small."

Jisoo laughed again. "Hey, do you want me to paint the tattoos on you next? I'm almost done with this."

"Shouldn't you let it dry first?"

"Yes, but I can go and revisit whatever drafts I made and plan them out a little before I paint them."

Jennie smiled. "Then yeah, sure. Show me how badass I could look."

A while later, Jennie stood before a mirror, looking at the tattoos that Jisoo had painted on her skin. There was one running up from her ankle, a delicate pattern of vines and flowers running up along the back and side of her calf to her knee; another tattoo was on her right bicep, a tribal-sort tattoo that wrapped around her arm in a pattern of three decorative rings of sorts. Jisoo also had plans for Jennie's back, one of which Jennie had basically decided to get already – it was a circle, supposed to be in between her shoulder blades, with intricate abstract patterns meeting and crossing over within it's perimeter, but because of the painting currently on her back, she hadn't been able to paint that one.