Chapter 70

Four days after visiting the police station, Jisoo opened the morning paper to find Jennie's parents once again as the headlines.

"Jiyong & Chaerin Kwon charged with embezzlement, tax fraud and more – full details of the case inside"

And of course she read the whole thing. Most of it she already knew, and when Jennie came down a while later, she didn't even bother reading it past the actual charges. Jisoo watched her carefully as she did, noting how her reading glasses rested at the tip of her nose and how she still looked all mussed up from sleep; as opposed to her tired, drowsy expression, the relief and underlying joy that overcame her eyes as she skimmed through the article looked almost bright.

Jennie was happy.

She gave Jisoo a quick kiss before heading to the laundry room, emerging clad in her usual workout gear.

"It's a good morning, isn't it?" she asked chirpily as she walked over to the fridge to pull out her pre-prepped smoothie ingredients.

"Yes, it is."

"You want some?"

Jisoo looked at the bag and saw kale and various greens. "Nope."

"Come on."

"Nope. I will not drink anything that's green."

"You love Mountain Dew, though." Jennie pointed out. "And that's green."

Jisoo rolled her eyes. "Don't you go nit-picking."

Jennie made her smoothie and moved over to sit next to Jisoo as she drank it. "It's early for you. You didn't come to bed till almost four."

Jisoo nodded and yawned. "Lisa and I got into a Mario Kart duel. I won."

"Congrats."

"Sorry again if I woke you."

"You didn't, not really," Jennie smiled. "But you should still be sleeping."

Jisoo shook her head. "Nope. I'm making the best of your last day all at home with me."

"You make it sound like I'm moving overseas."

"Might as well be."

Jennie leaned in to kiss her cheek. "I'm sorry you're home all the time. Did you hear back about that job in San Francisco?"

"Not yet. But I only sent the application like a week ago, so I'm still hopeful."

"You'll get it. You've got great credentials and a dazzling personality."

"And absolutely no prior experience in my field."

Jennie smiled. "Hush. No point in putting yourself down until you know for sure."

Jisoo let out a sigh and twirled her empty mug in her hands. "We're moving to San Francisco."

"We are," Jennie agreed. "Unless you're having second thoughts...?"

"No, not that- I'm excited. But it's still...I've never lived in California. Or the West Coast. The farthest from home I've lived was Chicago..."

"If it helps, I've only ever lived in either Boston, Bridgeport, or New York. So it'll be new for me too."

"True."

"I'm a little nervous."

"Same."

"But it'll be alright."

"Yeah," Jisoo nodded. "And I liked San Francisco. I liked the vibe."

"See? It'll be great. And Dalgom'll love the apartment I've found – well, apartments. We'll look at them when I get back from the gym."