CHAPTER 12: KEEP YOUR FRIENDS CLOSE AND ENEMIES CLOSER

"Passed years seem safe ones, vanquished ones, while the future lives in a cloud, formidable from a distance."
                                                                ― Beryl Markham, West with the Night.

Pearl's POV:

As we drove to my place, I  took my eyes off the road and occasionally stole some glances at Park. She seemed to be preoccupied with her thoughts. For a moment I felt jealous, thinking what could have her so engrossed in her thoughts that she would be totally oblivious to my presence. Even though I was glad there was now a slight level of comfort that had replaced the original awkwardness between us, I was kind of regretting to have lost this awkwardness at that moment for, even if things were vexing between us, they did manage to blanket her mind with my thoughts. Now, it seemed that my thoughts were being gnawed by the teeth of this novel, yet unknown news. 

" What is it you are thinking of?" I asked, piercing through the silence that had settled between us. 

"Nothing!" replied Park, at the same time, trying to catch her breaths, as if someone sacred the living hell out of her. 

  " You were definitely thinking about something, which was so interesting that you nearly forgot that I was next to you. Otherwise, Parker, you wouldn't be so taken aback just now!" I said seriously. 

" I have been overthinking since today morning, about almost everything that I have been doing! And right now, I was just thinking about what am I doing here, with you? All of this seems so unnecessary!" she said calmly, honesty dripping off her voice as she spoke each word. 

I nearly regretted asking that question, since the answer stabbed me, like a sharp knife, straight in the throat. I opened my mouth, but I could not think of anything to say, so I added;

" The feeling is mutual! Moh's results are getting better. Once he gets his life back together, I promise we will never have to see each other's faces again!" 

The rest of the drive was a silent one. My reply to Park took me by surprise, and so was Park. The look on her face was priceless as I spoke to her. Being rude was never an issue for me. She should have known better. I wonder what would be her reaction tonight. What seemed unnecessary to her, would be just the thing she would want to save, even if she had to bet her life on it. I smiled mentally on that note and pulled over in the driveway in front of my majestic house. Park looked up from her thoughts, she proceeded to step out of the car when I stopped her, saying;

 I will be quick,  just stay in the car!"

--------------------------------------------------

Parker's POV:

"... we will never have to see each other's faces again" 

This sentence rang in my mind countless times, though it had been the words I have been dying to hear for a couple of weeks now. Surprisingly, I was fuming with anger right now. How could he say things like these, especially after that kiss we shared? 

It was not such hard of a question I had asked myself. Pearl had just concurred with me, but on something, I never wished for him to share the same opinion as me. These mixed feelings were giving me a migraine. I felt like banging my head against the dashboard, but as much as I pleased to do so, it would be a shame to ruin this beautiful car because of another breathtaking yet annoying creature.