You Don't Want This Life

It happened so fast. One second she was ready to release all sorts of verbal torment on her mentor, the next an arrow was sticking out of her shoulder and she was bleeding out on the ground.

Golden eyes watched the scene before her with wonder, the endorphins from the injury being an excellent painkiller as Cato soared past her limp figure, arrows shooting past, a few grazed him, but he was too fast. The male mentor from 1 stood no chance as he cut him down in one swipe. But it didn't stop at one, no, he was in a rage and used Gloss's corpse as a punch bag for his sword. She didn't even flinch at the sound of the cannon, having grown too accustomed to it already.

Haymitch was by her side within seconds, assessing the injury. "Crap. It doesn't look like it hit anything. We could do with some alcohol to clean the wound thou-" His call for liquor to the skies was cut off as Cato shoved him aside, scooping up the bleeding girl effortlessly. 
"Grab the bags, meet us North." He snapped, not giving the drunkard a second glance before disappearing into the woods.

"I thought I told you not to get killed." Cato chuckled darkly, the brunette in his arms offering a weak scoff in response. "I- I don't know what to do anymore." He whispered, lost in his thoughts as he placed her down carefully once he felt confident in the rocky area before covered enough for the time being.

"Cato..." Deja attempted to sit up, the rush of being shot passing and the reality setting in made her wince in pain, but when he attempted to stop her, she slapped his hand away. "-No. We need to discuss this. Now." Her voice was hoarse, but as she sat there, an arrow through her shoulder, scarred cheek prominent, all Cato could do was stare at how stunning she looked, and how strong she'd become. 

"Only one of us can-" He cut her off with a kiss. It was soft, a rare moment the brutal man showed any ounce of gentleness. All Deja could do was kiss him back, something inside her telling her this was probably the last chance to do so.

"Don't say it." He whispered, cradling her jaw in his large hands and resting his forehead against hers. "- You're going to be the one. You and I, we're going to make it to the end, and when to time comes-"

"No." She spat, the thought of hurting him repulsing her to the core. "I don't - I don't want to win. I don't want to go on without you. Cato, I-" Her breath caught in her throat, desperately trying to find the words she refused to usher since she said goodbye to her mother.

"-I love you." She managed, no longer able to hold back the tears, burying her head into his shoulder. "You hurt me, you confused me, you made me want to hate you but - I can't. And I can't even begin to think of life past this without you. So when the time comes you need to-"

He refused to listen further, Cato grabbing her tearstained face and looking intensely into her eyes. "- I love y-"

The declaration was cut short by the deafening sound of a cannon.