Chapter 20 - Another Family TV Night

Here we are again, piled in front of a big screen plasma TV… except this time it’s in my palace. Everyone’s curled up in their chosen spots, all cozy and ready for a world news station to come on.

When it finally comes on I’m the first headline. Surprise!

@HRHPrincessAnna: It's a bit strange being the headlining topic of international new stations...

“And our top story of the night is making headlines everywhere. We’re talking world-wide news, that’s spreading throughout almost every country in Europe and beyond, people. Crown Princess AnnaMaria of Chirnova is not dead. That’s right, the Princess that was, according to Chirnovian authorities, ‘lost track of’ has simply been hiding from the spotlight in America for seventeen years.” A picture of me on the balcony appears on the screen. She finishes, “Here’s our official Royal correspondent, Mark Phillips, reporting live from just outside the palace gates. Mark?”

I really need to get used to the fact that it's 50/50 here regarding languages. Some prefer to speak slovek and some like english better (there was a British occupation somewhere in our history that made english one of our foremost languages). These reporters happen to be speaking slovek. That's okay I need practice.

A reporter is shown in the box next to hers on the screen. My palace is in the background, lit up and looking regal. He says, “Hello, Katrina and yes, it’s been an interesting forty-eight hours for everyone here in Chirnova. The first glimpse we got of our long-lost Princess was right after the King of Vladesvya briefed us on what was happening. Speculation that she could be in hiding surfaced almost five years ago, but was shrugged off by Chirnovian and Vladesvyan authorites. Now, the King—who has seemed to take the young princess under his wing—is saying that the only reason she was hiding out in America for so long was to escape her Uncle, King Dmitry, who, as the royal press advisors have told all the reporters, was sure to kill her if she stayed here after her parent’s murder.”

“And those reports of King Dmitry abdicating… are they true?” She asks him.

He nods, “Without a doubt. He is no longer our King—nor is his wife our Queen. Our country is now in the hands of an eighteen year old Princess, and Prime Minister Charles Bouvek. Dmitry is no longer to be addressed as “king”. King Victor will assume some of the responsibilities until the proper papers are filed to make him our new monarch."

“Wow, and all of these events are happening so fast. How can the people be sure that they are not being fed any false information? Some people are saying that they simply took a girl that looks like the Princess out of America and brought her here to get rid of Dmitry.”

I’m shocked that people don’t think I’m the real Princess. I look just like my mom and have my father’s eyes. I look over at Victor, who rolls his eyes.

Ben mumbles, “Bullshit.”

Mark says, “Well, I’m one of the millions of people that do believe she is our Princess. The similarity between her and her mother, Queen Evangelina is something that no one could ever search out. She also has her father’s eyes, and King Victor pointed out that if he had been searching for a girl, the press would have found out and certainly jumped on him for that. So, I do believe that this is our long-lost Princess.”

“Well, this is just turning out to be the story of the century here, Mark. I have information here that she has lived in… East Creek, Maine in the United States for seventeen years out of the eighteen years of her life? Small town girl, if I’m correct?”

Mark nods as pictures of me and my parents fade in and out of the screen. “Yes, that’s right she’s had a normal upbringing in a middle-class suburb of a small town in the state of Maine in that country. Her adoptive mother is actually one of her distant cousins—related to her on her mother’s side—so really, she was kind of with her family all along. She also has three adoptive brothers who are actually her, somewhat like sixth cousins, I do believe. Alec and Adam are the twins you see in the picture there, they are both eighteen,” a picture of us on the balcony appears. The twins and Adrian are beaming, pointing to somewhere in the sea of people. They look dashing in their pea coats and suits.

“And, Adrian is the oldest at twenty-one,” Mark says.

The girl, Katrina replies, “And I hear they are also blowing up the internet right now. People all over the world are wanting to know more about those dashing blokes in the pea coats just to the left of our Princess. However, even more people are turning their attention on Ben, now that the royal engagement rumors are being thrown about.”

“Yes, and you cannot see the engagement ring due to her gloves,” Mark says as another picture of me and Ben on the balcony flashes on the TV. This time it’s of us holding hands and waving.

“However, in that press conference that the king held yesterday we were told that the engagement contract has been signed. Princess AnnaMaria has agreed to marry Ben and they are engaged.”

“Ah, I bet all the young women in Chirnova are simply dying of broken hearts. But, the Princess does look very happy with him. The rumor that they hate each other can be dismissed simply by looking at the picture of them on the balcony. She sure looked happy up there.”

I guess I'm awesome at faking happiness. Or, maybe I was just so shocked that it came off as happiness?

“Well, Katrina, who wouldn’t be happy with him? He’s been listed as one of Europe’s sexiest men alive, along with fellow royals Prince Harry and Prince William. He has his mother’s personality and everyone adores him. Heck, even my wife has a thing for him."

I pinch Ben on the cheek. “Aw, everyone loves you too,” I say.

The twins and Adrian are cracking up on the floor in front of us. “One of the sexiest men in Europe!? Damn, bro that might be better than the title of prince.”

“Sorry I’m late!” A voice shouts from the doorway everyone turns to see none other than Mr. Vlad waltzing into the room. His son Gregory is not far behind.

I jump from my seat without hesitation and run over to him. As soon as I’m done hugging him my parents follow.

“We’re so glad you could make it, my friend,” Victor says, getting up from his seat. When he does that everyone else has to stand too (though, that doesn’t stop the twins from eating). “After all, you are the reason that Anna is here now.”

I say a quick hello to Greg before Ben is ushering him to a seat beside us at another love seat. The seating shifts to fit Greg and Mr. Vlad.

Though there is some talk it all stops in order for us to tune into what the reporters are saying. Victor changes the channel multiple times. If they weren’t talking about me two minutes ago another station is now.

Nancy Grace is one of the international channels that Victor flips to. I’m surprised. I didn’t think she was that international. But even she mentions me and wishes me all the luck in the world. Though, I don’t think that even that will help much. Not even her prayers will be enough to help me through the mayhem that is going to be my life from now on.

It’s now that I’m just realizing… yesterday I sealed my fate. Three days ago it was my last day living as a normal person—a small town girl from southern Maine.

I hide the tears welling up in my eyes until bedtime. That’s when it’s best to release my emotions. That’s where not even Ben can see me at my absolute weakest.

Once again thank you for reading :) and to your right is a picture of the Chirnovian flag! Their motto is "Deeds, not words"