Chapter 3 - The Truth

I wake to the sound of my alarm clock blasting Katy Perry's obnoxious new song, Last Friday Night.

It's not a good start off to the day. Well, it would have been if it were actually Friday. However, it's just Tuesday and I have a whole week and four days until my birthday and the talent show. These days are going to drag on forever.

I make it just in time to rush down the stairs, say goodbye and grab a protein bar. Ashlyn is waiting for me outside. She honks as I come running out the door.

She looks... happy... almost too happy. Her usual beaming smile and joyful demeanor is extra bubbly as I slide into the back seat of her car.

"Alright, what's the matter with you?" I ask, slamming the door. "You look maniacally happy."

"Maniacally happy? Oh honey, you need more happiness in your life. You're turning into a bitter single girl. I'm just really..."

Avery laughs from the passenger's seat and finishes the sentence with the word, "Satisfied."

I narrow my eyes at them. Ignoring the comment about me being bitter, I question, "Satisfied? In what way?"

She bites her lip and smiles even more as we drive down our street. Her cheeks flush pink and I eye her strangely through the rear view mirror.

Avery lets out an aggravated sigh. "Fine, I'll tell her," she huffs, twisting around in the passenger's seat. "Someone lost their virginity last night."

Ashlyn swats at Ave with one hand and her face flushes a bright pink. "Shut up, Ave. It's not that big of a deal."

"Big enough of a deal for me to notice you're extra glowy and bubbly today," I quip.

"Shut it, An."

We arrive at school and she tells the rest of the girls what happened. None of them have gotten that far yet, and I've never even gotten close. So, needless to say she is now the official relationship advice expert of our group. Melody has been fired and replaced.

As Ash and I walk to A.P. Statistics together, winding through the crowds of noisy students, I notice something strange. Beside Ash's locker, the one I keep my Stats book in, there's a group of guys. When we come closer, I see that it's the usual hoard of hockey team jocks. Only thing is, they're usually positioned on the other side of the hallway near Ralphie DeMarciano's locker.

The second we're in their sights I know it's all over. The eyebrow raising and whispering begins. Ash waggles her brow at me, opening her locker and taking her time bending down to get her textbook. All the while, I'm squirming under their stares and breaking out into a cold sweat. I hate the feeling of their eyes skimming down me. You'd think I was wearing a mini skirt and crop top—but all I have on are skinny jeans and a relatively fitting sweater. It's not even that tight.

Ashlyn, on the other hand, thrives on this kind of attention. Just because she has a steady boyfriend doesn't mean she never teases other members of the opposite sex. It's just a fun game for her now.

"They're staring like we're pieces of meat," I hiss under my breath.

All she does is grin and reply, "Well then we must be good cuts."

I want to slap her. But I restrain myself and reach for my book before slamming the locker shut.

She turns to walk away—taking the path nearest them, to my horror. I have no choice but to follow her or be swallowed up by the current of students to our left. And so, I follow her closely, staying by her side as we pass them. My face floods with heat as someone whistles.