Chapter 10: Birthday Girl

*Picture is of Anna's engagement ring*

Holy shit... @Anna_Noff: IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!!! #ObligatoryBirthdayTweet

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!"

I wince and stumble back in the kitchen, almost tripping over myself. My parents and brothers are in there already, holding three balloons and a bouquet of yellow flowers. One thing that's never been normal in my life that will probably never change: my birthday. Our family always takes birthdays to the extreme. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's embarrassing. I remember one time when Adrian was turning sixteen and my parents put one of those cardboard birthday cut-outs on our front yard. He never lived that one down when he was in high school, probably because the cut-out was a cartoon hockey stick with googley eyes.

I groggily give everyone a hug and thank them. My mom gives me a kiss on the cheek before I rush out the door to find Ash sitting in my driveway... with another balloon. I suppose she expects me to carry this one around with me during the day.

"Happy Eighteenth, shrimpy!" Avery pops out of the car, too. Except she's holding something different—a tiara. I stare at it like it's a bomb. It only serves as a reminder as to what I'm about to go through over winter break.

Avery frowns. "I'm sorry... you don't have to wear it if you don't want to but... I bought it before we knew about... you know..."

"It's alright," I interrupt, taking it from her and plopping it down on my unruly morning hair. 

Both of them exchange a look, and Avery says, "I told you we should have gone with the gold one."

"Well I think this one looks just fine," Ash stubbornly stands her ground.

"What's the difference?" I ask in honest confusion.

Avery insists, "Gold looks so much better on brown hair like yours."

"Silver looks just as good because of how pale she is, Avery," Ash argues.

"Whoa, hey," I break the bickering up with a laugh. "It's pretty, alright? I love it. Now can we please get a move on? My birthday won't excuse me from a tardy."

My interruption gets them moving, but their bickering continues as we drive up to campus. I make a joke about them becoming my stylists and they finally break down laughing. If that ever happened, nothing would ever get done. They would constantly be fighting over colors and stupid little things like that--sort of like the fairies in the Sleeping Beauty cartoon. I imagine Avery would be the perpetually angry blue fairy and Ashlyn would be the red fairy that refuses to give into the baiting for a screaming match.

As for Sami and Kaelyn, I believe they would both fit perfectly into the role of the passive green fairy that doesn't like to get involved in the arguments at all. 

When second period ends I make the long trek with Sámi down to the auditorium. When we get down there Mr. Vlad is waiting patiently by the stage. We're one of the first to arrive. I see Mitch is already up in the sound and lighting booth with Bailey. Then Kristin pops out from behind a curtain.

"Hey guys! I'll be right up!" I shout and wave.

Mitch waves back and nods while Bailey attempts to loosen the stiff spotlight. That reminds me, I should give her the oil from the tool closet up there. I don't think she knows where it is...

We reach Vlad and he says, "Alright, let's get this show on the road!"

That's our cue to split off into different directions. Fast on my tail is Kristin, coming up to the booth with me to get on good terms with Mitch. After all, we coordinators have to know what's up with each other. This show is so not going to work out unless we plan, initiate and act together as a team. Oh, what great training for a future Queen like me.