Chapter 25 - Reality Hits

After a week of school, dance practices, a dance competition (where I was very rudely told I had to take my engagement ring off for the performance—but I didn’t because Marc and Gabe stepped in) and one very hard A.P. Stats test… it’s nice to just kick back and spend a day with my girls.

Okay, so I might be texting Ben while watching a movie with Ash and Ave, but still. They don’t need to know that.

“Oh my god this is such an accurate representation of last year’s prom weekend,” Ash says humorously. We happen to be watching The Hangover for the billionth time.

“You always say that,” I let out a laugh while replying to Ben’s text.

“That’s because it’s so true,” she replies.

Avery’s voice comes from behind me. She comments, “You know, your accent is only getting thicker.”

“Really? I can’t tell,” I admit. Though, I should have expected this. I was back in my home country for a good two weeks.

“Anna,” mom’s voice calls out from the doorway of my bedroom. None of us turn our heads as she asks, “Did you get Victor’s text?”

“Huh?” I ask, a bit distracted because of Ben’s text.

She repeats, “Victor. He texted you; and he called here a while ago. Where have you been?”

“Oh, that was him?” I quickly scan through my inbox—which is fuller than normal from people I haven’t spoken to in years. They probably just want to say they text a princess. It makes it a little hard to keep track of who texts me.

Sure enough, there’s a message from Victor. It says: Good morning, Anna (at least I think it’s morning where you are). I just wanted to let you know that a check to the amount of $10,000 has been deposited into your checking account in America. It’s just a little belated Christmas present, to help you come up with a wardrobe worthy of royalty. Don’t forget to buy some things for the interviews Kassy has set up for you in America (i.e.: Dresses & Blazers). I’m sure your styling team did a great job while they were there, but since they can’t stay I’ve assigned you three temporary American ones to help with less important engagements.

All the best, Victor.

“Whoa, get your jaw off the carpet, Princess,” Ash jokes, laughing and trying to lift my jaw back up. It’s impossible though. I sit there, staring at the message and wondering if this is all a dream. This can’t be happening. I’ve never had more than $500 dollars in my checking account and my savings isn’t any better. Since dad has been trying to get his construction business back on its feet the whole family has had to make changes—including to our bank accounts. Apparently, not anymore.

“Mom,” I call out. She enters the room and I look up at her with wide eyes. “Can we go to the mall?”

She laughs, nodding, “Of course, Anna. Just don’t spend it all at once.”

“I don’t think that would be possible,” I admit, still in shock.

I glance back at the girls and see them staring at me with their heads tilted to either side like confused puppy dogs. I explain, “Victor gave me a… a little shopping money…”

Their eyes light up, and before I can say anything else Ashlyn is shouting, “I’ll drive!”

Avery is already on her phone, tapping furiously on the screen. “I’ll tell Mel and Sami to meet us there!”

“Well? Aren’t you going to get properly dressed, Miss. Most-Photographed-Girl-Of-The-Century?” Ashlyn tugs on the sleeve of my sweatshirt. She and Avery came over this morning in skinny jeans, sweaters, Ugg boots, leather jackets and full jewelry and makeup. I, however, am still in my sweatshirt and sweatpants—and haven’t even thought about doing my hair.