Chapter 17 - Uncle Dmitry

@Anna_Noff: Well, this should be very interesting… #herewego

My heart beats uncontrollably as I stare at the teleprompter in front of me. As people position me and fix my hair I numbly gaze at the first words I’ll speak.

Good Evening, citizens of Chirnova.

It sounds like I’m Obama for god’s sake. I want this speech to be friendly and informal. I guess the writers didn’t get the notice. But, I’ll have my chance to make up for it on New Year’s Eve. For now, I suppose I’m not prepared enough.

“Alright, let’s try this in one shot!” The video guy says. I clear my throat and straighten my back some more. He gives the countdown. “In five… four… three…  two… one!”

The red light blinks on and he waves his hand at me. I start.

“Good evening, citizens of Chirnova. It is my great pleasure to tell you that I am safe. The fate that my parents suffered, I have escaped. For seventeen years I have been living in America with my parent’s most trusted friends. It is King Victor you have to thank for bringing me home safely. And now, I am ready to assume the throne as your Crown Princess. The events that will transpire in these next few weeks will be overwhelming, but I can assure you that my people come first. You will know everything that is happening. For now, I leave you with the notion that your Princess is alive, safe and very well. Thank you, and have a wonderful holiday season.”

Silence. The red light flashes off. I let out a breath of air and Ben steps forward.

“That was brilliant,” he says, touching my arm gently.

I manage a small smile. “Thanks,” I whisper.

“Damn,” the video guy says. “I think that’s all we need to do. Nice working with you, your highness.”

He bows as I leave the set to go get changed.

“They’ve succeeded, Anna,” Victor’s voice comes from behind me. I turn around and he catches up with me as my stylists drag me into a random room. They consume me like a tornado, ushering me behind a changing wall. Soon my clothes are being nearly ripped off and they slip on a classic black wrap dress by some big designer. A navy blazer gets thrown onto me, before a matching navy peacoat.

“We are heading over to where he is being detained—in the Chirnovian prison system. You will sign the papers there,” Victor says. “Ben and I will be with you.”

The last statement is comforting. As they slip on my black patent leather heels I feel Bryant playing with my hair.

“Oh forget it, I’ll just leave the hair as it is,” he throws his hands up as my scheduler enters the room. I come out from behind the curtain and she pounces on me.

“We’re almost running late!” She exclaims. I swear, she reminds me of Effie Trinket from the Hunger Games. The man behind her must be Victor and Ben’s scheduler. He looks just as frazzled. There’s a crazy atmosphere in the air. My crew rushes to catch up to Victor and Ben’s. Someone hands me a black clutch with my iPhone, lip gloss and a mirror in it. I take the time to look at my texts as we rush into the garage.

I literally get pushed into the black Range Rover. Ben is next to me, with Victor on the other side.

“When will that be broadcasted?” I ask to no one in general. I’m too busy staring at my Twitter timeline to look at them.

“Eight o’ clock tonight,” Victor says. I look at the time on my iPhone… it’s twelve noon. “Tomorrow morning the announcement will be made that you will make the official first appearance tomorrow at three in the afternoon. Expect a massive turnout.”