Chapter 32 - Time for The Glitz and Glam

You think Ben’s butler would be used to finding me in his bed by now. But nope, the staff obviously thinks that one night spent with him was enough, and that now I’m a whore for staying more than once.

Obviously, they don’t know how easy it is to fall asleep in his arms.

After days of non-stop press conferences, media frenzies and even the official publication and distribution of our engagement photos… it’s finally time for a break. This time even Victor is going to get in on the fun.

We’re attending an awards show called “The VCEA’s” (Vladesvyan-Chirnovian Entertainment Awards) tonight. We’re presenting some trophies and then introducing the live act that’s going to honor the victims of the recent bombings. Needless to say, it’s better than the meetings with politicians we’ve been having. Even the rehearsal we attended was a lot more fun than those meetings.

“Would you be needing anything else for today, your highnesses?” Ben’s butler asks, his eyes flickering nervously over to me.

Ben walks out from the bathroom as I’m shaking my head and thanking him anyways.

“No, that’ll be all, thank you. Go get some breakfast, Norman,” he smiles and wanders over to the bed, where I’m currently still flopped, looking at my phone.

He goes to say something but is rudely interrupted by the voice of a certain hair stylist booming through the space. I cringe as I hear Bryant’s voice call out, “You can’t hide from us, Princess!”

I groan as he rounds the corner, with Garret and Val flanking him on either side. Ben lets out a chuckle, which I respond to by smacking him on the arm.

“It’s only nine in the morning,” I complain, “We’re not leaving until six tonight.”

“Yes, but this isn’t just some appearance, sweetie, this is a glamorous event!” Garret says, throwing his arms up for extra emphasis. “You need to get those cuticles under control; that hair back into order and a nice arm wax! Those cameras on the red carpet are unforgivable.”

“Arm waxing?” I ask, thrown off by that one thing. Ben is now laughing almost hysterically as Bryant approaches the bed. He glances over at the half-finished breakfast tray and raises an eyebrow.

“I see your breakfast is finished.”

I roll my eyes, “Alright, alright I’m going.”

Shower. That’s the first thing they make me do before they work their magic—or shall I say torture?

“I’ll see you… erm… later,” I say to Ben, sliding out of the bed. He’s recovering from his laughing fit, but still manages to kiss me goodbye. Who knows when we’ll really see each other next. We might not even cross paths until we meet in the garage later tonight.

The shower is the only place in the morning that I am safe from the babbling of Kassy and my press advisor, James; the shouting of Garret and the hurried atmosphere that accompanies all that. Mornings in the palace—in mine or here, in Victor’s—is absolutely chaotic. People think royals have it so good, waking up in the morning to a beautiful palace with maids and people that do things for you. But, in all reality it’s annoying, hectic and downright exhausting.

I wish I had known it was going to be like this when I made the decision to sign that paper. Maybe prison is better than this; the scheduled meetings and having everything in my life timed perfectly. I hate it.

“Really, Bryant I don’t want to—.”

“Honey, your arms look like caterpillars.”

I make a face as he pushes me gently into a chair. They all get started and I wince through the pain as Bryant rips out every follicle of hair from my arm.