Chapter Twenty Eight: A Real Second Chance

I ran up the stairs two at a time still wiping tears away from my face. I skidded to a stop outside of Jem’s door and knocked lightly once. I waited two seconds before knocking more persistently.

The door opened and I had to stop myself from knocking on Jem’s face. “Can I help you?” he asked in a dead voice. I looked up into his face. There was no light in his brown eyes. They were actually rimmed red. I had a strong urge to just hug him. 

“I’m a stupid, self-centered, stubborn, good for nothing, idiotic—“ 

He cut me off by putting his hand over my mouth. “Enough.” He said and moved his hand.

“You’re not the stupid one. I am. I shouldn’t have ever trusted that girl. I shouldn’t have let her sit on me. I shouldn’t have gone to that party with her. I should have fell at your feet and begged for forgiveness the minute I messed up. But I didn’t. And I’m an idiot.”

I smiled up at him, “I was stupid too. I didn’t believe you. I believed Aiden instead and he almost took advantage of me. I kept telling myself you were lying, that I was better off, that I didn’t need to feel. You tore all my walls down and made me realize how stupid I had been. How was anyone benefiting from me holding everything in?”

Jem reached out and wrapped his arms around my waist. “Are we okay now?” he asked pulling me close to him. I leaned into him, taking in his familiar smell of cologne and mint gum. 

“We’re better than okay.” I said happily. Jem squeezed me tighter and then pulled away, “First though,” he began, “I have to take you on a proper date and do this right.” He said with a smile.

“Can it wait till after school gets out? I have so many tests to study for!” Jem chuckled but nodded his head, “Fine you nerd. But the day school gets out we’re going on a date. Got it?” he asked. I nodded my head and smiled.

“I got my photography project back. Do you want to see it?” he asked stepping into his room. I nodded my head and followed him. His room was the same as it had been the first time I had been in here. There were books on his shelves and nerdy posters hanging on his walls. The only difference was the number of pictures hanging beside his bed. As I got closer I saw that it was pictures of the two of us together and a few of just me that he had taken over the few months we had spent together. 

Jem was digging in a pile on his desk. He pulled out a manila folder and turned around to hand it to me, “Here, they came out really good. At least that’s what everyone told me.” 

I smiled and opened up the folder. Inside were a number of shots. They were edited and looked really good. I smiled down at the familiar poses and dresses flipping through them slowly to take in the simple beauty of a ballerina in nature. 

“Jem, these are beautiful.” I said flipping through them a second time.

“Really?” he asked appearing at my shoulder, “You think so?”

I nodded my head, “Really.”

“Good. They’re going to the state fair.” He added offhandedly.

“Really?!” I asked him. He nodded.

“Your pictures are going to the state fair, and my solo is going to nationals. Look at us go!” I said happily. 

Jem’s mouth opened in shock, “You’re going to nationals?!” 

I laughed and nodded, “Miss Annie told me when I got back in the dressing room.”