Chapter Twenty One: Christmas and Ringing in the New Year

Christmas morning passed in an excited blur. The girls were ecstatic, and they ripped open all their toys the minute the wrapping paper was off them. I had gotten everything I had asked for. Though the boots weren’t Ugg, and the makeup wasn’t Sephora I was still happy.

I was sitting on the couch at Carmen’s feet when the doorbell rang. She was fondly looking at her Christmas collage. The door opened and there was a chorus of warm Merry Christmases from the hall. Peter came waltzing into the living room, a joyous Madison on his hip. Lola and Henry followed him, both their arms adorned with more presents. The three girls squealed in delight and started to hand them out to everyone.

“Now,” Lola began when everyone had their gifts, “Before you open them I have a very special gift for everyone!” she sang a wide smile on her face.

“What’s that?” Jem asked coming in from the kitchen a stack of Christmas cookies in his hand. I shook my head at him and handed him the box from Lola and Henry. He sat at my feet stuffing his face.

Lola scowled at her younger brother before looking up with a bright smile, “We’re having another baby!”

Carmen looked up at her oldest daughter and frowned, “So close to Madison? She only just turned one.” She pointed out.

Lola shrugged her shoulders, “I know, but it’s exciting still!”

Peter shook his head and looked at the anxious girls on the floor, “Go ahead,” he said with a smile, “Open them.”

***

I pulled my winter coat on over my t-shirt. Carefully I slid my feet into my new pink boots from Carmen and Peter. I took a quick glance in the mirror and smiled at the necklace hanging around my neck. Jem had given it to me late Christmas night. It was a gold heart outlined in diamonds. I can only imagine how long he worked to get it for me, and it made my present of his favorite mint gum and a nice new jacket seem lame. Although he had told me he loved it.

“Tori! Tori! Tori!” Kelly sang as she came skipping into my room.

“What squirt?” I asked turning away from the mirror.

“Your ride is here! And James is downstairs blocking the door.” She said with a small smile and nod. I shook my head and smiled at her, “Thanks Kelly. I’ll deal with James.” I said with a smirk and headed towards the stairs.

My stitches came out a few days after Christmas. Though my ribs were still sore I was feeling ten times better. I still couldn’t dance but I was bound and determined to go and watch the girls today. I reached the bottom of the stairs and was stopped by Jem.

He put his hands on my shoulders and remained still, “You’re not going.” He said in a low voice. It was almost a growl.

I looked up at him and rose my eyebrows, “I’m not?” I asked sarcastically.

“No.” Jem answered, he locked eyes with me and I rolled mine.

“Yes I am, move please.” I said and tried to step away.

“Tori, I’m not letting you go. You’re not even completely healed!”    

“Jem, I’m fine. I’m not going to dance. I just want to watch the girls!”

“Why?”

“Because that’s what a good team member does.” I tried to side step him again but he was quicker.

“Tori, you really shouldn’t.”

“I’m going to anyway. You don’t have to be so protective.”