Chapter Twenty Two: Officially a Party Couple

The party, like every other, was at Macy’s house. She had tried for a long time to get me to come to a party, but I had kept feeding her excuses. She of course had no idea I was coming. Jem pulled into the already crowed driveway and cut the engine.

“Are you sure?” He asked me for the tenth time. I nodded my head and pushed my door open. I wasn’t wearing anything spectacular. Just my favorite ripped jeans and a Hollister t-shirt. Since moving here I haven’t been dressing to the nines every day. It made me stick out more. Jem locked the truck and came around. Taking my hand he reached down and kissed my cheek.

“You have officially gone crazy.” He muttered before leading the way to the front door.

Jem reached out and rang the door bell. Almost instantly the door was opened to reveal Liam and Gabriel. They both beamed at Jem.

“You made it!” Liam called over the loud music. Both boys had red cups in their hands.

Jem nodded his head, “Tori had a moment of insane courage and insisted we come.” He said flashing me a grin.

“You mean she has courage?!” Gabriel asked faking surprise. I punched his arm, “Of course I do!” I protested and pushed him aside. I pulled Jem in the door. He flashed Liam a scared look as we passed. A few feet into the house I was encased in two pairs of arms. There was squealing in my ears.

“I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU CAME!!” Macy screamed to me, “Now you’re officially a party couple!” she yelled over the noise. I looked at her confused, what the hell does that mean?

“Come get a drink!” Lisa called pulling me and Jem along with me into the less crowded kitchen. It was easier to hear in here. Lisa handed us each a red cup filled with alcohol. I took a sip.

“Now you’ve come together, you have to leave together. And make out at some point.” Macy said refilling her cup, “Otherwise it’ll get around that you were just a fling.” She said and nodded her head.

“What? We’re dating. People know that.”

“But that doesn’t matter. If you don’t look the part at a party people will talk.” Macy said like it was common knowledge and I was stupid. Maybe I was. Jem wrapped his arm around my waist. “Nobody’s gonna say anything. I’m not letting her out of my sight.” He said and kissed the top of my head. I still bothered me a little bit that he had grown to be so much taller than I am.

“Well let’s go party!!” Macy said with great excitement and went straight back into the living room. It was packed to the brim with practically the entire high school. Everyone was elbow to elbow as they tried to dance. Alcohol was spilling out of red cups staining Liam and Macy’s mother’s carpet. I can’t even begin to understand how they make the house spotless by the time their parents get home. Jem pulled me into the crowd. Everywhere we went people stared. They turned their heads and gawked with no shame. I had thought that the week after Jem had asked me out was bad, this was worse.

Jem stopped in the middle of the dance floor and wrapped his arms around me. I could feel his cup still clutched in his hand behind my back.

“Still feel like this is a good idea?” he whispered in my ear. I shook my head slightly and I could feel Jem chuckle. The noise was lost in the music.

“Drink up and you’ll get used to it!” he said loudly and took a swing from his own cup. Smiling slightly I downed my whole drink. Jem smirked and pulled me close.

A few hours later, and three drinks gone we were still dancing. We were so close I doubted that a sheet of paper would fit between our chests. The song ended and a slow one picked up. It was the same song we had danced to at my first party with Jem. He smirked and pulled me, if possible, closer.