Chapter Eleven: Nightmares and Candy

I’m sitting on the couch in the living room, flipping through the TV channels. There’s nothing good on to watch. Just crappy reality TV, I can’t even find a rerun of Dance Moms. The door bell rings and I flip the TV off before getting up to get the door.

“Don’t worry!” I call out to the house; “I’ll get it!” the house was unusually quiet. I pulled the door open and nearly screamed. Standing there were my mother and father. They looked just as they had the day they had gone out.

“Hello Victoria dear,” my mother said in her soft voice and smiled at me.

“Going to let us in?” My dad asked. There was that familiar tone of amusement in his voice. I smiled wide, not even caring how weird this was, and stepped back to let them in the house.

“Lilly!!” I shrieked up the stairs, hoping she would come quickly. I turned back around and lost my voice. My parents weren’t there anymore. Well they were, but their skin was dead looking, and peeling away. They smelled of rotting flesh and there were flies circling their heads. Finally I found my voice and let out a bloodcurdling scream.

I sat bolt upright, clamping my mouth shut. I took in deep breaths trying to calm myself but it didn’t work. Next thing I knew I was sobbing. I tried hard to stay quiet not wanting to wake Jem, but I couldn’t stop myself. I felt him sit up next to me and covered my face with my hands. I heard him gasp and then felt his arms wrap around me. I fell into him and buried my face in his chest, inhaling his familiar scent and trying to rid my nose of rotting flesh.  

Jem sat there rocking me while I cried for a good half hour. Slowly I gained control and was able to stop the sobs. I took one last breath and pulled away. I glanced at the clock, 5 am. Everyone had already left. I looked back at Jem; there was concern all over his face. He cupped both sides of my face with his hands, wiping away stray tears.

“Are you alright?” he said in a low voice. I slowly nodded my head, though I was far from okay. Jem looked at me for a moment before frowning, “No you’re not.” He said. I looked down at my lap before talking, “It was just a bad dream.” I mumbled.

“Just a bad dream?” Jem pushed my chin up so that I was looking at him, “That must have been one hell of a dream.”

I bit my lip. I didn’t want to talk about it. I didn’t want to talk about my parents. Not ever again. Jem frowned slightly, “It’s okay,” he said softly, “I’ll be here when you’re ready.” I nodded my head and Jem pulled me close. He hugged me tight before laying back down, pulling me with him.

Within minutes Jem was snoring once more. I, however, laid awake staring at the dark ceiling for hours on end. When a strip of light appeared in the sky I sat up. Carefully I untangled myself from Jem and grabbed my clothes off the floor. I slipped my shirt on and tiptoed out into the hall. I made my way quietly to my room and eased the door open. I stopped when I spotted Lilly asleep peacefully in her own bed. I smiled softly, glad that I still had her, before opening the closet and finding sweatpants. By the time I had put on comfortable clothes and small blonde head peaked into my room. Kelly smiled at me, she was still in her Tangled nightgown, and her long hair was a wild mess.

“Good morning Kelly-bear!” I said happily and held my arms open for her. She smiled and raced over to me jumping into them. I picked her up and pecked her nose softly. “Did you sleep well?” I asked her. Kelly nodded her head. I smiled and started out into the hallway.

“Are you hungry?” I asked her walking into the kitchen and setting her on the table. She nodded her head, “Well what can I get you?” Kelly smiled and spoke in her quiet voice, “Cereal! With marshmallows!”