Chapter Twenty: Bed Rest Sucks

I absolutely, with all of my heart, hate bed rest. An hour after being home I was bored. But I couldn’t go anywhere. It hurt to move. The girls from the dance team came to visit, as did the soccer team, but I was still bored. Today was the worst yet. I’ve been stuck on the couch for almost a week. Fiona was at work. Benjamin at a friend’s. The girls went with Peter to see Santa. Stefan went out Christmas shopping. And Jem had gone to the movies with some of the boys. It was just me and Carmen, and we were in different rooms of the house. Even worse, tomorrow was Christmas Eve. And all I am is stuck on the couch.

“Victoria!” Carmen called from her room.

“Yeah?” I called back. It was the only way we could talk.

“I hate to do this, but I need you!” She called back. Her voice sounded a little panicked. Not even thinking I threw back the covers and sat up. Not bothering to think about the pain I stood up. One step at a time I made it to the doorway of Carmen’s room.

“What do you need?” I asked a little out of breath.

“My pills.” She said and pointed to the dresser, “Peter forgot to move them.” I rolled my eyes at Peter’s forgetfulness and hobbled into the room. I grabbed the pill bottle and tossed it over to Carmen.

“Thank you so much!”

“Don’t worry about it!” I said and turned to go.

“Oh, Victoria, don’t go all the way back out there! Crash with me. Jem can move you when he gets back.” Carmen said with a smile. I smiled back and sat down on the other side of the bed leaning against the pillows. 

“It’s been so long!” Carmen said with a smile.

“I know! We never get to talk! Darn this leg!” I said and laughed softly. If I laughed too hard it hurt.

“Tell me about dance.” Carmen said softly.

I frowned slightly, “I had a solo.” I said in a quiet voice. “The girls said Miss Annie is going to save it, but part of me doesn’t believe it.”

“Well why not?! I bet it will still be waiting for you when you get back!”

“If I get back.” I muttered.

“You will.” Carmen said with a smile.

I smiled back at her. Sometimes Carmen reminded me so much of mom that it hurt. Other times it was a comfort. She would always say things that mom used to. And she always knew how to make me smile.

“Are you excited for Christmas?” Carmen asked me, her eyes lit up. I smiled and nodded my head.

“I’m very excited! Christmas is my favorite time of the year.”