Chapter Four: Painting Date

“Breakfast was delicious Carmen” I said while piling the dishes into the sink. I had fallen into a routine at my new home. I always washed the breakfast dishes, and I helped with laundry. I wasn’t used to doing chores, but I didn’t find them too bothersome. Besides, they kept my mind busy. Lily and Jasmine have become great friends. She’s no longer glued to my hip and it’s kind of nice.

“Thank you dear,” Carmen said while wiping off the counter, “Peter is going to the store today to pick up school supplies. He’s going to stop at the hardware store too, you girls want pink right?” she asked.

I nodded my head, “The light one, I gave the color to Peter.” I said and smiled over at her, “What school are we going to?” I asked curiously.

“Jersey Shore High.” Carmen answered over her shoulder, “It’s a public school.” She added a little quieter.

I nearly dropped the plate in my hands, “Public what?” I asked just to be sure I heard her right.

“School, sweetie. I know, it’s different but we can’t exactly afford private school.”

I could tell she was a little upset about this, so I forced a smile and turned around to face her, “That’s okay. I’ll get used to it.” I said and turned back to the dishes. I haven’t been in public school since the fourth grade.

“Oh good, when Peter gets back you can start painting, James said he’ll help.” Carmen said before leaving me with the dishes.

When I had put away all the clean dishes I went in search of James. Some of the boys from the soccer team had been over last night, though they had all left he was probably still in bed. I went up to his room and knocked softly on the door. It was weird to think that James wasn’t the shy boy he used to be. He was much different than I remember him being.

There was a groan and a few seconds later the door flew open. James was standing bare-chested in his pajama pants. His hair was tousled confirming that he had indeed been in bed. My eyes automatically followed the line of his muscular chest. I had to scold myself. This was James. But when did he get so muscular? I shook myself and looked up at his face. It looked almost annoyed.

“Can I help you?” he asked, annoyance starting to slip into his voice.

“You said you’d help paint?” I said and held up the can of pink paint Peter had brought back from the store.

James stared at me for a moment. He blinked twice before answering. “That’s right.” He said and smiled, “I’ll meet you there in ten, put on something you don’t mind ruining.” He said and shut the door.

I shook my head at him and walked back to my room. Peter had removed all our furniture before breakfast. I walked to the closet and pulled it open. Something I didn’t mind ruining? All my clothes were nice. And I minded ruining all of them. I stood there staring at my clothes not sure what to put on. I heard someone come in behind me and let out a chuckle.

“Jeeze Glam, do you own anything not label?” James asked looking over my shoulder. I shook my head.

“Wait here.” He said and disappeared again. When he came back he had some clothes in his hands. He threw them at me and I caught them. The jeans were already covered in paint and way too big for me. The shirt had the Jersey Shore school logo on it.

“The jeans are Fiona’s so they’re probably too big, the shirt’s mine. Change quick.” He said with a smirk and left closing the door.

I pulled my clothes off and threw them into the hamper in the closet. I pulled James’s shirt over my head. It fell past my butt. Shaking my head I pulled Fiona’s pants on. They were a couple sizes to big so I pulled out a belt and cuffed the bottoms. Tying the shirt up in a knot at the back so it wasn’t so long I pulled open the door. James was leaning against the door frame whistling. He looked me over once and smirked, “Ready?” he asked standing up and coming in. I smiled and nodded my head, “Ready!”