Chapter Twenty Five: Broken Promises, Hurting Hearts

“JEM!” I called out into the crowd of people. We had been at this party for almost four hours now. And I really just wanted to go home. “James Michael Westwood!” I screamed into the crowd. 

I let out a frustrated breath and pushed through the crowd into the kitchen. “Jem?!” I called again, but was only met by a very drunk Aiden. 

“What’s up hot stuff?” He asked, his words slurring together. I wrinkled my nose against the smell and took a step back even though there was a counter between us, “Have you seen Jem?” I asked him hoping he would have a straight answer.

“He went upstairs with you like ten second ago, silly girl.” He said shaking his head and smiling at me. I sent him a tight smile and walked towards the stairs. We hadn’t gone upstairs. I’ve been looking for Jem for almost ten minutes now. Carmen kept texting me.

I climbed the stairs slowly, one at a time. My feet were killing me in these heels. 

“Jem?” I called softly once I had reached the landing. It was a lot quieter up here. A majority of the doors were open, which was unusual for Macy and Liam’s parties. Normally they were all closed and locked. The last door at the end of the hall, which I knew to be a guest bedroom, was shut. 

Hoping that Jem would be in here with some of the boys I turned the knob and pushed the door open. The only thing I registered was Jem’s mop of dirty blonde hair and I smiled in an annoyed way, “Thank God I found you. James Westwood, we have been here for four hours! And if your mom texts me one more time we’re both going to be—“

I suddenly realized that Jem wasn’t alone. There was no way he could be alone. His shirt was on the floor in a pile. And wrapped around him, their lips locked together was a dark haired girl in a red dress. I let out a strangled cry and they broke apart. Jem looked at the girl and then at me and his eyes widened in shock his mouth falling to the floor.

I couldn’t help myself. The tears fell hot and fast down my face. There was a painful ripping feeling in my stomach, as if my entire internal organs had just been ripped out and I was left with a bloody hole.

“How….what…why…you asshole!” I settled on and ran from the room.

“Tori wait!” He called after me but I didn’t stop. I flung myself into Macy’s room and locked the door, leaning up against it. I was sobbing, and in pain. 

There was a loud knock on the door followed by Jem talking through it, “Tori come on. Let me explain?” he said ending in a question.

“I don’t want to talk to you!” I choked out between sobs. He was a jerk. An asshole. And a douche bag. He wasn’t the James I had grown up with. He was completely different. He was popular, and everyone worshiped the ground that he walked on. I’m just me. The same Victoria I had always been. Sitting in the background and minding my own business. Why I thought I would fit into his world I have no idea. I don’t belong here. And neither does Lilly. We belong in L.A. In our flat on the top floor. With my walk in closet and peace and quiet. Where I could sink to the background at school and nobody would bother me. 

I slid to the floor leaning against the door and pulled my legs up to my chest trying to stop the pain. The pain of broken promises, heart break, and lost family.

“Tori! Please?” Jem pleaded through the door. No not Jem. He was James. And we were no longer friends.

“Go. Away.” I managed through the tears. He tried to get me to open the door a few more times, but eventually he gave up. I sat there and cried. I cried because of everything. I cried because I hated my life. I cried because I wanted to go home. I wanted to leave the snow, and the cold, and this crazy world of small town high school.