T w e n t y - E i g h t

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Manon awoke to the sound of the chanting wind that notified of a brand new day as it brushed against the windows of the apartment. She was met with a sight she hadn't quite anticipated. The coffee table that was previously covered in all human waste that ranged from Empanada-free plates and spilled coffee stains, on the contrary of how it was the moment her eyes closed shut and drifted off to a night of deep sleep, appeared to be clean. The couch, that the girl had spent more nights on than she wanted to admit, was free of the boy who had spent the night there with her, and of any memories of the endless popcorn battles that occurred the night before throughout their eventual surrender to a random movie marathon. 

The fresh smell of eggs engulfed her nose long before she could quite process what was happening. With squinted, weary eyes, she lifted her head and looked towards the kitchen. There, she could see his figure standing by the counter, and then, she could feel her heartbeat, that had not been surprised by her sudden awakening as it usually would, but rather by the fact he was missing, finally ease. For a split second, she almost believed that everything that happened until that point was nothing but a dream, that he wasn't really back in her life. The thought scared her, almost instantly took control over her, but when she saw him, she knew that her mind was playing nothing but petty tricks on her. 

Manon shook her head with relief and picked up her phone in order to check the time. To her amazement, unlike the previous occasions where the duo would wake up too late, it was early. She covered her mouth as she let out a yawn and lifted herself off the couch with the bare minimum motivation of the early morning. 

The girl stumbled across the apartment before walking into the kitchen and bringing her feet to a halt. Timothée stood in front of her, flipping scrambled eggs on a pan. She smiled at the sight, not only because she appreciated the gesture, the love behind the action, but rather because she was utterly and truly thankful for seeing him there. Perhaps still fearing, that everything that happened was all in her head. 

"Why didn't you wake me up? I would've helped you" Manon sighed to herself as she put her hair up in a ponytail in an attempt to tame it, though ultimately failing at stopping the shorter bits of her hair from sticking out of her makeshift hairstyle. 

"I considered it, but you looked cute. I also figured you should get more sleep after the events of yesterday" Timothée explained as he transferred the freshly cooked breakfast onto two plates. Manon's sudden arrival brought solace to him, it made his early morning all the more worth it. With a quick glance behind him, he examined the scarcely awoken girl in front of him and saw nothing but beauty. She was perfect, and she was his. 

"Such a gentleman you are" Manon let out a chuckle that brightened the room in which the duo stood in. It was enough to eliminate any remaining footprints of drowsiness in both their souls, it was the moment where they truly started their day, together, despite having woken up at different times.

 "So I've been told" Timothée responded along with a cheeky smile, his eyes following the girl who hid well behind the fridge door, searching for the drink that would accompany her breakfast. He enjoyed starting the day with her, hoping that there would be many more shared mornings to come. The boy couldn't imagine starting a brand new day with anyone else by his side.

Truthfully, the girl could safely admit that she could barely remember the events of the previous day. Of course, they resonated within her mind, but quite far away, as though they happened years ago. The previous day seemed to last an eternity, and when she dedicated thought to it, she could only remember her and Timothée before they drifted off to sleep, marathoning movies and reviewing their cooking skills, before giving in and starting a deep conversation, then dozing away halfway through in each other's arms. The night they spent together was all she needed to take a step back. It had distracted her, brought her mind back to serenity, at least temporarily, until the next tragic thing would occur, as it always did.